sass / less

TopStyle has been discontinued and support is no longer available. The forum is read-only. NOTE: TopStyle was not developed by the makers of CSS HTML Validator.
soup
Rank 0 - Newcomer

sass / less

Post by soup »

Any plans on support for either ?
kenjk12
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: sass / less

Post by kenjk12 »

Yes! I 2nd that request.
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Post by TopStyle Support »

I have no plans to support these. TopStyle 5 is all about standard CSS3 properties. I believe these technologies justify a different editor.
soup
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by soup »

ok, will say i think its a shame, and would disagree with you actually, as they are basically just variations of css
but can understand your point of view.

It might at least be worth considering supporting scss, as syntax highlighting, as its basically the same.
soup
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by soup »

to quote

SASS is simply an extension to existing CSS features
TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional

Post by TopStyle Support »

soup wrote:SASS is simply an extension to existing CSS features
I know, but the web browser does not understand SASS out-of-the-box. It requires the inclusion of a library.

TopStyle 5 is all about standards-compliant CSS3.
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

TopStyle Support wrote:TopStyle 5 is all about standards-compliant CSS3.
That gets my vote.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
kenjk12
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by kenjk12 »

TopStyle Support wrote:I have no plans to support these.
Thanks for the answer.
I am very disappointed.
SteelToad
Rank I - Novice

Post by SteelToad »

Not to beat a dead horse (people say that when it's exactly what they're about to do) but ...

It would be great if it were just supported for syntax highlighting, that way people using something like Scout or a similar tool would only need to save their scss file.

I totally get, and applaud, your adherence to standards, but darn it, I don't want to have to use anything but TopStyle :)
crashT
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by crashT »

Hello, I need the LESS implementation and would be happy about it much.
lionelts
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by lionelts »

i was for less sass but seem there is so much to do with html css version completion.
There is a good article about not use less and sass relative to OO CSS .
I think sass and less could be usefull when the compiler ll be be directionnal css to sass and sass to css and it not he case .
i think topstyle could support less extension file and syntax but nothing else like compiler ...
regard' s
kmeronuk
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by kmeronuk »

It would be great if TopStyle would just allow less and sass files to be treated the same as css files. Don't need the actual compiling support, but just the ability to have the built in css auto-completion, style inspector, etc. support would be extremely helpful.
JoeB
Rank II - Novice

Post by JoeB »

The world has moved on. LESS support is now essential. It needs to be added or you'll be losing customers.

Its VERY useful being able to define your site colors as variables once at the top of the .less file, then use them throughout ! Saves massive amounts of coding, and massive amounts of work should the customer require changes to the scheme etc.
knizia
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by knizia »

Sadly, it appears this is where TopStyle and I part ways. I have been a loyal user for years, highly recommending it to anyone who was interested. Unfortunately, I simply cannot avoid using less anymore. When you think about it, sass/less is really about making valid CSS files easier to build and maintain for front-end developers. And that used to be what TopStyle was about as well. Seems like they would be a perfect match for each other... oh, well.
skepsys
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by skepsys »

Hi. I've also been using TopStyle for CSS editing for years, since version 3, paying licenses, beeing loyal, promoting the tool to colleagues etc. And I'm totally agree with comments above by SteelToad, knizia, JoeB and kmeronuk. Now it's critical for me to move on with precompiled CSS and I don't want to switch to another tool :(

So, please, consider to add a support for sass/less. That actually means just an ability to treat files with .SCSS and .LESS extentions like a regular CSS-files. That's it! No need in compilation tools or any other changes. The general issue is just in the file extention. Adding .scss as extention i "Options" > "File extentions"menu unfortunately doesn't work, but when I rename my .scss to .css TopStyle works fine enough. Yes, it's not ideal, but fine enough. I could live without code highligting for specific ("unstandard") SASS/LESS items, damn them! But there are a lot of other very nice features in TopStyle I do like and got used to. So I don't want to switch to less functional editors just becasue of a silly file extention issue.

I believe TopStyle is the best CSS-editor and please let it stay like this! :)

UPD: Oh, my bad, adding .scss as extention in "Options" > "File extentions" works fine, just don't put any spaces there. This can be a (temporary?) solution and may help somebody. But still, consider to add a code highlighting :)