Testing Beta 9.9932

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Testing Beta 9.9932

Post by MikeGale »

I've run some batch tests on the Current Beta.

Processed a few hundred files of various types, in several batches.

No anomalies noticed except that a lot of jslint processes failed giving errors. It was an inability to write a working file.

I'm sure I've seen that before, but can't remember the outcome.

A manual run of the linter worked (in the console).

This fault comes up as an error. It's not an error in the normal sense, maybe there's some other way of flagging it.

Looking good. Thanks.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Testing Beta 9.9932

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks Mike. A release is getting closer. I plan on releasing the final BETA soon.

I am a bit concerned about the jslint errors. Do you think this is a CSE HTML Validator problem or something on your computer or your setup is causing the problem with writing the temp files? If you think it is a CSE HTML Validator issue, then can you provide more details and the exact messages? Thanks!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I started running a test and loaded up SysInternals Process Monitor to see what is going on with file access (so that I could report more fully).

There seems to be something in the Beta that then intervenes. It shut the program and the Batch tool both. When I attempted to restart it kicked in with a message that there was a monitor running. (Message was from oreans.com, something called WinLicense.)

I've shut the monitor process and looked at running processes, it's gone as far as I can see. The oreans code still thinks it's running. Maybe it caches something! It sure seems to have it wrong.

So the Beta has stopped running altogether for me. I hope a reboot brings it back but that's not going to happen now. I'll report back later.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:I started running a test and loaded up SysInternals Process Monitor to see what is going on with file access (so that I could report more fully).

There seems to be something in the Beta that then intervenes. It shut the program and the Batch tool both. When I attempted to restart it kicked in with a message that there was a monitor running. (Message was from oreans.com, something called WinLicense.)

I've shut the monitor process and looked at running processes, it's gone as far as I can see. The oreans code still thinks it's running. Maybe it caches something! It sure seems to have it wrong.

So the Beta has stopped running altogether for me. I hope a reboot brings it back but that's not going to happen now. I'll report back later.
Hi Mike,

Looks like your running into an issue with the software protection software CSE HTML Validator uses. I will report the issue of it thinking it's still running, but it may be by design.

If I send you a build without the protection will you try it out again? Thanks.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I ran a test using 9.03 and Process Monitor. It ran as expected and gave two failures from jslint.

The messages were like:
An error occurred trying to run the JavaScript linter. Error: 2005052001: can't open outputfile "C:\...\...\LOCALS~1\Temp\~cse_jsmsg37380800.tmp"

The test set was cut down to 20 files (to give a mix) of which 5 were js's.

So 2 of 5 javascript files failed with that message.

My look at the monitoring didn't give a cause, but I am out of practice!

So the problem is not just in the Beta's.

Hope that helps.

I've just seen your message. Yep I'll a build without protection if that will still be valuable.
Last edited by MikeGale on Tue May 18, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:I've just seen your message. Yep I'll a build without protection if that will still be valuable.
Thanks.... I'm not sure if it will be since you were able to reproduce the issue with 9.03 and didn't get anything helpful there.

Are you running any anti-virus/spyware software that might be temporarily locking the file? If so, can you try disabling it and see if you get any different results? Thanks!
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Hi,

I ran the list twice more. With 1) Active Protection off and 2) with AP and Firewall both off.

In each case I got the same sort of failures (in 9.03). In fact I got more failures showing up directly on js files. It's random.

If I last installed the Beta, which DLL is running when I use 9.03 batch tool?
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

On shutdown of 9.03 I got a message "Access violation at address 6016CDA4. Read of address 6016CDA4."

Looked like DPE (Data Protection...).

I added the exe's to the list (to not be protected) and tested again.

Results:
1) I got a random collection of errors, in batch processing. All were caused by jslint and file access. Some are direct on js files, others are indirect via a reference in a page. Page/files change each time.
2) On exit I don't get the Access violation.

Conclusion two issues, DPE and the jslint problem. (Separate.)
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:If I last installed the Beta, which DLL is running when I use 9.03 batch tool?
Hi Mike,

With v9, it should use the v9 DLL. It was only much older versions and some 3rd party products that will use the DLL in the Windows system directory, and if that DLL is used, then that's when only the latest installed version's DLL is used.

I think I'm going to send you a new v10 BETA in the next day or so that will try opening the file a few times for up to 3 seconds if there is a failure. I'm hoping that whatever may be locking the file will be solved within that time.

Also, Oreans got back to me and said (with regards to the process monitor being shut down):

Code: Select all

The problem is that those process monitors are loaded in memory till the system is restarted. That is, even if the user closes the process monitor,
the process monitor driver is still loaded in memory and that's why it's detected.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Hi Albert,

Thanks for that.

Interesting point about the process monitor in memory. I don't know how to unload it so my machine can potentially be locked against using the Betas. Useful to know. I saw a note that Oreans have, on occasion, excluded some drivers from their lock. No idea what that involves.

That multiple try technique is the only one that came to mind. I'll gladly give it a try.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:That multiple try technique is the only one that came to mind. I'll gladly give it a try.
Thanks! Please try this and let me know how it works:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/cse-html-v ... -setup.exe
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Hi,

The URI gave me a 404. (Tried a couple of variations, all failed.)
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:The URI gave me a 404. (Tried a couple of variations, all failed.)
Oop! Sorry. I forgot to copy the file to the server. :oops:

Please try again.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Hi,

It's still refusing to start because of the monitor in memory.

I'm not planning to reboot the machine soon. I'll reconsider that, but it does disrupt things.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:It's still refusing to start because of the monitor in memory.

I'm not planning to reboot the machine soon. I'll reconsider that, but it does disrupt things.
Sorry Mike. I sent you an email about this.