If you are interested in a portable version of CSE HTML Validator that you can install on a thumb drive and take with you to work or school, then please read on.
Registerable (paid) versions of CSE HTML Validator v10 and above and CSE HTML Validator Lite now support a "portability" feature. The free trial version does not. However, please note that this feature is still considered "BETA" because it hasn't been thoroughly tested & refined.
To try portable mode:
* Install normally (or have already installed) CSE HTML Validator v10.0132 or later
* Insert a USB drive into your computer and create a folder on it, where you want to put CSE HTML Validator (like "E:\CSE HTML Validator")
* Copy all files and folders from the folder where you installed CSE HTML Validator (like "C:\Program Files\HTMLValidator110" if using v11) to the folder you just created on the USB drive (like "E:\CSE HTML Validator")
* IMPORTANT: Create an empty file "cseoptions.ini" on the USB drive (like "E:\CSE HTML Validator\cseoptions.ini"). When CSE HTML Validator sees this file, it will run in "portable mode".
* Now you can start CSE HTML Validator from the USB drive by running cse110.exe (or cse100.exe for v10) (like "E:\CSE HTML Validator\cse110.exe")
After starting from the USB drive for the first time:
* Check to make sure you are running in "portable mode" by going to Help->About CSE HTML Validator and make sure it says "Running in portable mode from folder <folder>." in the About box
* Re-register CSE HTML Validator with your registration information
* Do not remove the USB drive while CSE HTML Validator is still running
* All settings will be reset to their defaults when first run from the USB drive with an empty cseoptions.ini file
* Copying the USB drive folder to another drive will invalidate the registration and require re-registration when run from the new copy, but the program options will be retained
Upgrading a portable install:
The easiest way to upgrade a portable install is to upgrade your desktop/non-portable install in the normal fashion by running the setup program, then copy all the files and folders in the installation folder (like "C:\Program Files\HTMLValidator110") to your portable installation, replacing only the newer files. The most important files to upgrade/copy are the EXE and DLL files, as well as the configuration file (usually htmlvalV110.cfg).