Check for updates dialog

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Check for updates dialog

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

Do we need a dialog to ask for permission to check for updates? I can see where this might have been necessary in dial-up days.

Can CSE check for updates in the background and display the dialog only if it found an update?
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Check for updates dialog

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Yes, I suppose the question asking for permission is check for updates is a bit out of date and potentially annoying.

Instead of asking, I could just have it done in the background and have the program stay silent unless there is an update... good idea. Thanks. :)
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Every time it comes up, I get excited, thinking there's an update, only to get let down 9 times out of 10. That tenth time is magical tho.

Thanks Albert.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

UPDATE: I've made the change. If the option to do so is set (it is by default), then CSS HTML Validator will periodically and silently check for updates in the background without asking first. It should only display a dialog if the 'out-of-date' flag is sent by the server. The status bar may show some activity if the update check is performed but the user should not be interrupted unless it's important enough.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Cool!

Thanks Albert.
Rick