Slow response of CSE

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Slow response of CSE

Post by rag_gupta »

I'm using 10.0.0.31 pro. When I come back to CSE after some time (or resumed after hibernation or sleep) to check some page validation, CSE just "hangs" 10 seconds or so, and then becomes responsive.
Now and then I'll be going to CSE to check for syntax, I don't want this slow response.
If I go back to CSE within 10-20 minutes it's response it ok. Otherwise it's just too slow even compared to other heavy weight softwares I've on my system.

My system configuration:
Windows 7 32bit with 4GB ram. Intel i3 530.
Thanks
Anurag
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Slow response of CSE

Post by Albert Wiersch »

It sounds like Windows may be swapping some or all of CSE HTML Validator out of physical memory in favor of the applications that you are actually using at the time. Then, when you come back to CSE HTML Validator, it has to be "swapped back in", thus the unresponsiveness. Are you using a lot of memory with other applications that it might be causing this?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Post by rag_gupta »

I too thought in the same angle. However there are many other applications I'm using which are taking more memory than CSE but none seem to "hang" for 10 seconds whenever I come back, even after long time ( 1-2 days or so).

Here I'm attaching the task manager snapshot I took just before I clicked CSE after some time ( an hour or so).
I mean I first took this snapshot and then clicked CSE which took 10 seconds or so to become responsive.

Anurag
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

When you go back to CSE HTML Validator, is the hard drive light on like it is using the swap file?

Also, are you using the integrated web browser? I wonder if that is holding up CSE HTML Validator - if it had a TCP socket open that had been terminated somehow during the time it wasn't used. If you are using the integrated web browser then you could try closing it, exiting CSE HTML Validator, then re-loading it without the integrated web browser window ever appearing, and see if it still happens.

Furthermore, I am fairly certain that different applications work differently when "idle" and their memory may be managed differently by the OS - so just because it doesn't happen with another application doesn't mean that the OS is not swapping some CSE HTML Validator memory out to disk.

Otherwise, I really do not know what would hold CSE HTML Validator up. There's nothing in CSE HTML Validator's own code (at least that I have written) that I think would cause that to happen.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Post by rag_gupta »

I did look for the hard disk light when clicking CSE which did not seem to light-up( or may be it was too quick to be observed).
Could pl. explain what an intergrated web browser is?
I use Firefox, Chrome and IE 8.
Thanks
anurag
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

rag_gupta wrote:Could pl. explain what an intergrated web browser is?
Sure, if you switch to the "Browser" tab or hit F8, you should see it.

Please observe your HD light the next time and see if it is on while CSE HTML Validator is unresponsive.

Sorry I don't currently have any other ideas.