Batch wizard validation

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Batch wizard validation

Post by rag_gupta »

I had raised this issue earlier:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1070

I work on Joomla & Drupal where pages nos count from: 1 to n.

Using some patterns we can exclude/include pages. But can not fully control validation when the pages are numbered from 1 to n.

But I want a method in which CSE would pass the url to external script/exe which will exit with 1/0 to indicate whether or not cse would skip the target url being processed. Or it could read some javascript code etc rather than calling external program.

I've two more websites coming up containing pages up to 100,000. That means the CMS would be generating 10 times the number of pages.
So I need finer control to validate particular pages only: say from 11000 - 18000 and 50000-51000 etc

Implementing this should be very easy I think.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Batch wizard validation

Post by MikeGale »

Albert is working on bigger batch sizes which may suit your needs.

Where it doesn't, I find that I can easily generate batch validation lists, with a few simple tools.

What you use is going to depend on the tools you prefer. Here's things that have been useful to me.

1) Get text lists of files in a directory / directory tree using commands like "dir".
2) Clean up using a regular expression tool.
3) Select the subset you want using regular expressions, manually (maybe on a sorted list), whatever suits you.
4) Create a batch file (list), again using regular expressions.
5) Inspect it and run.

You could also write a small program to do this if justified.

It takes a few minutes to create a batch list, if you know the tools.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Mike is right that I have been working on improving the size limit of the Batch Wizard jobs. The new enterprise edition should get you the maximum possible job size but the next version of the professional edition should also have an increased maximum job size due to improved efficiency, and it should also improve performance.

I also have some ideas for better Batch Wizard customization, but that is not planned for 10.02, and advanced customization may only be in the enterprise edition.

But you can do as Mike says, create your own Batch Wizard target lists. The simplest format is just a text file that basically just lists the files or URLs that you want to check. Here is more information of the format of this file:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... ormats.htm

Here is an example of the simplest target list file:

Code: Select all

URL : https://www.htmlvalidator.com/
File: c:\html\index.html
Dir : c:\html\family
Another option would be to create an HTML file that links to all the links you want to check, and then check that file with the Batch Wizard and have it follow the links in it.

I hope this helps.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

Post by rag_gupta »

Another option would be to create an HTML file that links to all the links you want to check, and then check that file with the Batch Wizard and have it follow the links in it.
Thanks for this idea, did not think of it!