Compare HTML files

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
dhunter
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Compare HTML files

Post by dhunter » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:19 am

As far as I can tell, HTML Validator doesn't offer the ability to compare 2 HTML files side by side to see the differences. Is that correct? Or have I missed something?

If it can't do that, do you have any recommendations for software that will?

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:41 am

Hello,

That's correct. CSE HTML Validator doesn't have a compare function. You might want to try HTML Match listed here:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/resources.html
Albert Wiersch

dhunter
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Post by dhunter » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:47 am

OK, thanks.

paulp575
Rank III - Intermediate
Rank III - Intermediate

Re: Compare HTML files

Post by paulp575 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:00 pm

dhunter wrote:As far as I can tell, HTML Validator doesn't offer the ability to compare 2 HTML files side by side to see the differences. Is that correct? Or have I missed something?

If it can't do that, do you have any recommendations for software that will?
Or, if you are using WinXP (or some earlier versions of Windows), you already have that capability! It's in three files. If you do a search for Windiff on your operating system CD, you should find the three files: windiff.exe, windiff.hlp, and gutils.dll. I just copied them into their own folder and created a link for the Start Menu.

With Windiff, you can check any ASCII text file. In it's default mode, it will show you one listing of the contents of both files using arrows to show which files have different lines .

Try it, I think you'll like this freebie from Micrsoft!

dhunter
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Post by dhunter » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:21 am

>you should find the three files: windiff.exe,...........

Great idea. I'm on XP...I'll look up the files. I was using HTML Match (you can probably find it on ZDnet) but it timed out after the 30 day trial. Pretty nice program. If I have to do a lot more comparisons, I'll probably pay the $27.95 registration fee)

dhunter
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Post by dhunter » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:13 am

Just started windiff.exe. It's OK, especially since it's free. I have to figure out how to convert the command line for the Editor (Edit/Set Editor...) so that it uses HTML Validator instead of Notepad.

Windiff wasn't on my XP install discs. I had to download SP 2 Support Tools from Microsoft in order to get it.

Thanks for the tip.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:45 am

dhunter wrote:Just started windiff.exe. It's OK, especially since it's free. I have to figure out how to convert the command line for the Editor (Edit/Set Editor...) so that it uses HTML Validator instead of Notepad.
Hello,

I recommend that you use "cmdlineprocessor.exe -o filename" to open files in the CSE HTML Validator editor. For more info, please see
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/v7 ... ments.html
Albert Wiersch

dhunter
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Post by dhunter » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:38 am

Having trouble with that. We have a command line guru here but he's in a meeting. I'll report back after he works on the problem.

celloguy
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Try WinMerge for Comparing HTML Files

Post by celloguy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:30 am

I was also looking for this type of utility, and found an excellent open-source project called WinMerge. Free, and very functional.

Site is:

http://winmerge.org/

paulp575
Rank III - Intermediate
Rank III - Intermediate

Re: Try WinMerge for Comparing HTML Files

Post by paulp575 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:13 am

celloguy wrote:I was also looking for this type of utility, and found an excellent open-source project called WinMerge. Free, and very functional.
This program is so much better than Windiff!

Thanks for telling us about it!

dhunter
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Post by dhunter » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:48 am

>I was also looking for this type of utility, and found an excellent open-source project called WinMerge. Free, and very functional.

Much better. Thanks. No point in using Windiff.