Not sure if I understand what this report line means

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Not sure if I understand what this report line means

Post by moganero »

Batch wizard is giving me a whole lot of lines like:
An error occurred for the request "http://www.iandodgsonfinearts.co.uk/art ... artist=106". Failed Count: 1, Error: 0, Status: 508, Reason: unused. This target will not be processed (tried 1 time). The parent target is "http://www.iandodgsonfinearts.co.uk/prints.php".
does this mean that it has a) failed the 508 accessibility test or that it hasn't been applied?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Not sure if I understand what this report line means

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

That means that the Batch Wizard tried to request that URL so it could be checked, but the web server returned a 508 error code, so the target was not checked. All HTTP 5xx status codes are "server error" codes.

This would typically be a problem on the server end. I recommend that you investigate why the server is returning the 508 status code. Sometimes slowing the Batch Wizard down can resolve server error issues, so you may want to try that by reducing the number of concurrent HTTP requests or increasing the wait time before each URL request in the Limits page of the Batch Wizard Options.

I hope this helps!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
moganero
Rank II - Novice

Post by moganero »

Thanks. I think it must be because the Batch Wizard is too fast - when I click on the URLs the pages open. I'll try slowing it down and/or reducing the concurrent requests and see if that does the trick.

*edit - Just tried it - it made a big difference to the number of warnings. Now I know what they're about, it's not so critical.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

moganero wrote:*edit - Just tried it - it made a big difference to the number of warnings. Now I know what they're about, it's not so critical.
Great! I'm glad it helped. :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial