Filename issue

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
Sync100
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Filename issue

Post by Sync100 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:26 am

I just upgraded from 7.x Professional to 8.x Professional (8.0130 to be specific). A problem from all previous versions is still there.

When I open files from within CSE HTML Validator, all is well. But when I open them from outside the program, the filename string is hacked into the old Windows 8.3 convention.

As an example, just go into Windows Explorer and double click any HTML file.It's not just the filename per se, it's the entire filename string include directory names that is hacke. The same thing happens when editing a file with CSE HTML Validator from within Internet Explorer.

For the most part, the problem is merely cosmetic. You end up with a totally hacked up looking file string (e.g.,

C:\DOCUME~1\jbryan\MYDOCUM~1\MYWEBP~1\INDEX~1\HTM

when in fact the correct file string should be

c:\Documents and Settings\jbryan\My Documents\mywebpages\index.html

Note well the changes in case. As I said, the problem is primarily cosmetic. When the file is edited and saved, it is saved in the proper location with the proper name.

However, the problem is not cosmetic with respect to validating links. The same hacking is applied to links (a href=), and it causes all the links to give INCORRECT CASE error messages.

Other programs do not have the same problem. When I double click a file from Windows Explorer with other programs, the title bar reflects the correct mixed case and non-8.3 file name. So there has to be something that CSE Validator could do differently in its interfacing with Windows to avoid this problem, but I have no idea what it might be.

My solution is simply to open all files from within CSE Validator itself. But it would be more convenient sometimes to open files from within Windows Explorer, and especially from within a browser.

I work on three different machines [although not at the same time, and it's just me!]. The same thing happens on all three machines. All three machines are on Windows XP with all current patches and maintenance applied.
Last edited by Sync100 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Filename issue

Post by Albert Wiersch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Hello,

CSE HTML Validator v8 is very old and I'm unable to provide support for this issue for v8. Please upgrade to v12 and let me know if the problem still exists. If it does, then I can investigate further.
Albert Wiersch