Selected text from errors/warnings not shown optimally

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Selected text from errors/warnings not shown optimally

Post by RSteinwand » Wed May 01, 2013 8:49 am

Hi Albert.

I bugged this issue with Dreamweaver a few years ago but it was too late in the program and never got fixed, even tho it had support from users. I'm no longer a tester and the issue still exists. Maybe I can get it fixed here. :D

When I click a flagged item in the results window, it selects the appropriate text in my code, but if the line is long, it doesn't show me the text after the selection. I think the highlighted text should be centered horizontally in the view port so you can see the rest of the code.

For example, "background" starts at horizontal position 180, but the scroll bar is in the far left position:

Code: Select all

background:linear-gradient(to bottom,#1d2c54 0%,#1d2c54 13%,#000f37 33%,#000f37 100%)
Clicking the error in the results window properly highlights "background", but nothing to the right of "background" is shown, since it's off the screen on the right.

I would think "search" should work in a similar fashion, showing the found text centered horizontally and with at least two lines above and below the selected line also showing. (Not necessarily centered vertically, but that would be ok too.)

Make sense?

Thanks.
Rick

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Selected text from errors/warnings not shown optimally

Post by Albert Wiersch » Wed May 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Rick,

Yes, that makes sense (if I'm understanding correctly)!

I assume this is only an issue when NOT using word wrap?

I believe I was able to improve this for the next (and possibly final) v12 update, at least when selecting a validator message in the results window. The highlighted text may not be centered horizontally, but it should be scrolled better now. :D
Albert Wiersch

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand » Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi Albert.

I always have word-wrap turned off, which I would think exacerbates the problem.

I'll check it out in your next version.
Rick

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand » Fri May 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Hi Albert.

Installed 12.01 today and thought I better test this.

I searched for "background:" in a style sheet, since I noticed I had one at the end of a long line. It found it and the selection was still at the right edge so I could see nothing after the selection. (Ideally I'd like to see most of that property.) A couple of "F3"s later and now I see just the letter ":" on the left edge of the screen (background is off the left side). I don't know if you changed anything or if this was the behavior from before.
Rick

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Fri May 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Rick, are you using v12.0110 that I just released today?

Can you send me a sample document that I can use to reproduce your results or send a screenshot so I can see exactly what it's doing? I do expect the selection to still be to the right, but it should show the entire selection and some characters afterwards, but perhaps not as many as one might think would/should be optimal.
Albert Wiersch

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand » Sat May 11, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi Albert.

You can use this file: http://www.intercepteft.com/css/public/mobile.css

I had word wrap turned off.
Rick

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi Rick,

I tried it with your file and I see that some text selections/highlights are mostly to the right, but it does show the entire selection and a few characters after that (about 4). I think before the recent change that it wouldn't even show the entire text selection. Is this what you are seeing?

That is, it does scroll to the right enough to show the the entire selection and about 4 characters after that, but perhaps it doesn't scroll as much as you'd like.

I can make a note to try to improve this so that the selected text is more in the center, but this would be a low priority issue.
Albert Wiersch

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand » Mon May 13, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Albert.

I started at the top left with the scroll bar to the left by pressing CTRL-HOME.
I find the first occurrence on line 2, and continue pressing "F3".

At line 34, I see just the selection with only a few pixels of the next character after the "background:".... not enough to identify the character.

When I get to line 54, all I see of my selection is ":" on the left side. The rest of the selection off the left side.
I get the same thing on line 55.
On line 67, I see just "ground:". On line 77, I see nothing, just a cursor. The entire selection is off the left side.
On line 82, just the ":" again.
On line 88, just "ound:"

It appears to me your code scrolls to the right to make the selection visible, but doesn't do it on the left.

If you don't see this behavior, would exporting my settings help?
Rick

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon May 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi Rick, so you are doing searches? I was referring to selecting validator messages and CSE HTML Validator highlighting the relevant text when the message is clicked.

When pressing 'F3' I do see the selection issue you are referring too. This looks like it deserves a report to the editor component developer. I'll do that.

UPDATE: Reported
Albert Wiersch

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand » Mon May 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes, you are correct.

Thanks.
Rick