Ignoring messages.

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Ignoring messages.

Post by RSteinwand » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:19 am

Hi Albert,

I've used css code to get me rounded div corners for years and can see the end coming when I can retire it, but for now I'm stuck with it. That code, which I found online so I'm positive others are using it, involved nested bold tags at the top and bottom of the div, which CSE complains about.

Code: Select all

<div class="features">
	<b class="ftop"><b class="f1"></b><b class="f2"></b><b class="f3"></b><b class="f4"></b></b>
	<div class="fcontent">
	</div><b class="fbot"><b class="f4"></b><b class="f3"></b><b class="f2"></b><b class="f1"></b><b class="f0"></b></b>
</div>
Of course, I get a "Nested in itself" warning for every one of those and I often have several of those on a page. There are 36 of these warnings on my home page.

If I ignore by message ID (Flag 31), it'll ignore all these tags:
Displays a message if any of the following elements are contained within another tag of the same type: "abbr", "acronym", "b", "big", "cite", "code", "dfn", "em", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "i", "kbd", "q", "s", "samp", "small", "strike", "strong", "sub", "sup", "tt", "u", "var". Example: "<b> Bold <b> Bold again </b></b>" would generate a message for the second "b" element.
If I ignore by "exact text message", the line number is included, which means it's essentially useless, except on this one page.
TEXT MATCH: [31] The "b" element is nested in another "b" element (which was started in line 91). Normally this isn't an issue, but this may not be what is wanted or may not be good design.
Ignoring these message isn't a imperative for me, but I'm just pointing out a flaw in your message ignoring logic (which you probably were already aware of).

Thanks.
Rick

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ignoring messages.

Post by Albert Wiersch » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Rick,

I looked into this and that message does not have a message ID, but it does have a flag. A flag is more general than a message ID, and a message ID is more general than an exact text match... so what you need is a message ID assigned to that message so you can disable it for just "b".

The latest v12 config file should do this:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlvalV120cfg.zip

After installing that file and loading it into CSE HTML Validator (restarting CSE HTML Validator is the easiest way), you should be able to right-click on that message and choose 'Disable using Message ID', which will disable it only for "b".

Please try it and let me know how it works.
Albert Wiersch