Timeout when checking links to PDF files

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
brettkan
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Timeout when checking links to PDF files

Post by brettkan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:49 am

Hi - I have a lot of PDF files available for download (HTTPS), when running a link check a lot of the larger files are timing out (set to 90 secs). When I check the page via browser the files are available.

I wonder, is CSE trying to download the complete file? Should it not just 'touch' the file?

Thanks
CSE Pro v14.05 - Win7 x64
brettkan

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timeout when checking links to PDF files

Post by Albert Wiersch » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:57 am

Hello,

When link checking, CSE HTML Validator tries a HEAD request first, but if that fails for some reason then it may try to do a GET request which may cause a download, or at least a download to start.

Is the page you are checking publicly available so that I could try it on my end? If so, then please provide the steps needed to reproduce this issue and I can take a closer look and try to find out what's happening.

Also, you may want to try slowing down the link checker to see if that helps. You can do this in the Validator Engine Options and the Link Checking page. You can increase the wait time between checks and/or reduce the maximum number of simultaneous link checks.
Albert Wiersch