sharing custom dictionary among separate licenses?

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
lainie_s
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

sharing custom dictionary among separate licenses?

Post by lainie_s » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi - newbie to CSE HTML Validator Enterprise and have started using it. Anxious to dig in and begin integrating it into our QA process! My government agency has purchased five licenses of enteprise. Acronyms and government jargon is common on some portions of our sites. We would not only like to be able to add items to the dictionary, but it would be ideal if our five separate installs can access and share a dictionary. We have a common shared drive that we could ideally place it. Has anyone done this? Is it doable?

Thanks! Lainie

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: sharing custom dictionary among separate licenses?

Post by Albert Wiersch » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:33 pm

Hello,

Thanks for buying CSE HTML Validator Enterprise!

There is a dictionary tool at the bottom of this page:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/download/dictionaries.php

You can create a text file with a list of dictionary words (one per line) and then create a new dictionary using the above tool.

You can then put the dictionary in CSE HTML Validator's dictionary folder. More details and instructions are included in the readme.txt file included with the utility.

You could keep the latest version of the dictionary in the shared folder, and people could copy any dictionary updates to CSE HTML Validator's dictionary folder for their particular installation. I think you may need to put one person in charge of compiling and keeping the dictionary up-to-date.

Instead of copying the dictionary to everyone's non-shared dictionary folder you could also try going to the spell checking options in the Validator Engine Options (go to the Validator Engine->Spell Checking page and then press the 'More Spelling Options' button). Then go to the 'Language' tab and choose the 'Locate Dictionaries' option. You could then choose a dictionary folder in your shared drive that contains the dictionary. I haven't tested this in depth though so please let me know if you run into any issues.
Albert Wiersch

lainie_s
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by lainie_s » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:40 pm

I tried out your idea in the last paragraph and it worked like a charm. I'm waiting to hear back from my other users, but it worked great for me accessing it from the shared drive. If we have any other reports to the contrary, I will report in this thread here. Thanks!

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Great! I'm glad putting the dictionary in the shared folder worked. Hopefully you won't run into any issues but if you do then please post back here and I'll try to help.
Albert Wiersch