Flagged items off-screen

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Flagged items off-screen

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

This is nothing new and I bugged this with Dreamweaver years ago, but was too late to get it included there.

Code: Select all

.button a,.lgbutton a,.medbutton a,.smbutton a,.show a{height:13px;line-height:13px;border-radius:5px;background-clip:padding-box!important;border:1px solid #808080;color:#222;background:#C0C0C0;background:-webkit-gradient(linear,left top,left bottom,color-stop(0%,rgb(255,255,255)),color-stop(50%,rgb(192,192,192)),color-stop(100%,rgb(192,192,192)));background:linear-gradient(to bottom,rgb(255,255,255) 0%,rgb(192,192,192) 50%,rgb(192,192,192) 100%)}
A warning shows up in the Results window.
[612] The "background" property has already been defined in this style rule. A property should only be defined once per rule (unless defining properties multiple times in order to support backward compatibility or cascading). This message is displayed up to 3 times.
Double-clicking on the error points to the error in my css, but this is all I can see since the rest is off the right side of the screen:

Code: Select all

background:lin
Ideally I'd like that cursor move mid-screen so I can see previous and new code. Granted I can see "background:lin" so I can assume it's "linear-gradients" and can be ignored for now, but it'd be nice to have the code scroll so the cursor's position is midscreen.

BUT since you have a 3rd party control, I understand that may not be possible. They can't even handle long lines without a hack.
Rick
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Flagged items off-screen

Post by RSteinwand »

Sorry, forgot to mention, why is that message displayed only 3x?

I just went thru 10 style sheets, thinking I was good, but turns out I was only checking the first 3 occurrences.

Thanks.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

CSE HTML Validator should be a little smarter with that message in the update so you shouldn't see it for the sample code you provided.

I did some testing with the scrolling into view and it seemed to work OK on my end. Granted, it wasn't in the middle of the screen but the highlighted/selected text scrolled into full view (close to the right instead of the center) when I clicked on a message. I turned word-wrap off for testing since I usually don't use word-wrap (you may want to consider turning word-wrap on). I'm not sure why it doesn't sound like it's scrolling properly on your end. Perhaps the highlighted/selected text in your case is longer than what I tested with and that is causing the problem. If you want me to look into further then please send some screen shots but I may not be able to easily do anything about it.

As for limiting the number of messages to 3x...

Typically I limit messages to displaying a certain number of times to avoid an overload of the same type of message being generated when it seems like the author is aware of the issue and doesn't want to change it. If the author does want to change it then they can fix the issue and then re-validate and it will show the next 3 issues. In rare cases this can be a problem if the author wants to ignore or accept the first 3 occurrences of an "issue" but there are other occurrences of the "issue" in the document that the author doesn't want to ignore or accept. Currently there is no easy solution to this but it hasn't come up before so I can't imagine it's a significant problem for most.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

I've been patiently waiting for the update that ignores legacy backgrounds (#color;-webkit-linear;linear-gradient;etc.). If you've accomplished that, I'm deeply grateful. It's not like I can ignore something you haven't fixed yet.

Regarding the scrolling, if I have the left edge visible, then click on the message, it'll scroll just far enough to see about 3 letters past the highlighted text as I indicated above. If the horizontal scroll bar is more centered, then I'll see more.

Not a fan of scroll-wrap and always turned off, plus lines are deliberately long, with at least one full css class per line. The code I mentioned above would no-way be my longest line. Scroll-wrap destroys my visual feedback of what my page looks like. I use indents a LOT for organization.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

I hope to get the update out soon, most likely within the next 2 weeks.

I understand what you are saying about the highlighted text now. I thought you were saying that some of the highlighted text was off the screen. My bad.

I also understand what you are saying about word wrap and see your point. I have similar issues sometimes but I often find it more useful to use word-wrap most of the time. I'm sure it is different for everyone though, based on personal preference and the actual document being edited.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

I'm glad it makes sense now.

Thanks.
Rick