Downloaded typeface names

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Downloaded typeface names

Post by Lou »

Reworking an older .css file I receive the following two warrnings.
The following typeface was not recognized (check spelling): "ArnoldBocklinMN".
Styles) The following typeface may not be available on a significant number of browsers: "ArnoldBocklinMN". Not recognized at all (check spelling): "ArnoldBocklinMN". If the typeface(s) are being downloaded, then this should be OK.
The second warning is probably a good reminder to make sure the typeface script is included. However, the warning shows up in the css file and when developing new pages, using this css, the script should be included there. So not sure about the usefulness of this warning (see below.)

I'm glad the first warning occurs only once. Is there a way to add this typeface to the list of "recognized" names? Given my tendency to fat finger things it would help "spell checking," And eliminate one warning (unless I miss spell/type this "camel" name. If I can add a downloaded typeface, then the second warning would also be miss placed; the warning shows up with the wrong file.

Don't know the best answer, just adding this to the pile for thought.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Downloaded typeface names

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Lou,

I think the best and easiest approach in this case would be to disable those messages using 'Exact Text Match' whenever you are sure that the font name is correct and it's not a typo.

When you disable a message with 'Exact Text Match', future messages are only disabled if they're an exact text match of the disabled message. This means that if you were to make a typo in the font family name then the message would not be disabled because it would not exactly match the message that you disabled previously. So the effect of this is like adding the font name to a list of recognized fonts.

There's also a way to add font names (so that CSE HTML Validator recognizes them) using the onConfigLoad() user function and setValueString(11). It's a little more complicated but if you are interested in that method then just let me know and I'll describe how to do that in more detail.

Here is more information about disabling validator messages:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... ssages.htm
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/current/d ... g_messages
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Re: Downloaded typeface names

Post by Lou »

Thanks for the response. I need to think this through.

An amazingly adaptable system.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.