CSE 8 stopped functioning on Windows 2003

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

CSE 8 stopped functioning on Windows 2003

Post by MikeGale »

My CSE 8 has stopped running.

Here's some details:

Win 2003.

It started while I was running IE7 FF2 and a copy of Homesite.

Initial symptoms:
Switch back to another application and closed when validating an htm (I suspect that validating a CSS worked). Editor opened fine from file and from web.

Restarted machine:
Got messages including one that Windows had closed CSE.

Now it won't validate at all. I get "program unresponsive..." and need to apply a kill process.

I suspect some windows protection mechanism has kicked in. In the past I've put other applications (like Acrobat Reader) in the "don't do this list" for one mechanism. (I can't currently recall how to do that.)

Anyone here know how to deal with this.

(I'm going to stop validating and just publish this job and get back to it later... No time at present.)
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I got that web site published and have now (I believe, 5 or so tests worked) sorted the problem.

Solution:

Mark both cse8 and the cmdline processor as exceptions to "Data Execution Protection" (DEP) in Windows 2003. This is Control panel>System>Advanced>Performance...

NOTES:
1) If you marked Beta versions for DEP best to remove those from the list.
2) You need to restart if there has been a problem.
2) If the problem has occurred a restart may fail. It tries to stop the commandline processor and is unable to do so. There is a second level of "End this process" on one of the dialogs, use it (else I suspect it will go round and round failing to shut the process).
3) When the problem occurs the task manager shows two CSE processes with identical names. Stopping one stops the other.

I don't know what triggered or retained this behaviour from a copy of CSE that was previously working as expected. The good thing is a re-install seems not to be needed.