SSL Handshake Failed

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
Landon_Luko
Rank 0 - Newcomer

SSL Handshake Failed

Post by Landon_Luko »

There's a site I'm trying to validate using Batch Wizard. The site works fine when I go to it manually; however, when I run Batch Wizard, I keep getting the same error:
Failed Count: 1, Error: 10053, Status: 404, Reason: SSL handshake failed - error:14094458:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 unrecognized name. This target will not be processed (tried 3 times).
I've tried everything I can think of, and I can't seem to find something related to this error on this forum or the main website. Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: SSL Handshake Failed

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

Are you able to send me a Batch Wizard target list containing a URL that can be used to reproduce the problem?

I think your server is rejecting the request for some reason, but I'm not sure why.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Landon_Luko
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Landon_Luko »

For some reason, I can't send it to you via this forum. I just emailed you the list file.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thank you. I received the target list and ran it without any problems but my run was limited to 20 targets.

Is there a specific URL that is causing the problem?

I also received this information from someone who knows more about SSL issues than I do:
SSL handshake failures are difficult to diagnose, despite the seemingly extensive error messages.

Most of the time, handshake errors are down to incompatible ciphers and protocols, the server might have ancient support and the client demands
modern protocols, or vice versa.

'unrecognized name' might relate to Server Name Indication which was not supported with SSL, only TLS.

The best diagnostic is put the remote host name into an SSL server test tool, like:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

which will throw hundreds of SSL packets are the server and generate an extensive report it's capabilities, or lack of them. This will almost
certainly explain what is wrong.
Can you run the URL/sever through the test at https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ and let me know if that helps? Perhaps the web server needs to be updated.

If none of this helps then please provide more details and the results of the SSL test.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial