Bad links in Batch Report

For technical support and bug reports for all editions of CSS HTML Validator, including htmlval for Linux and Mac.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Bad links in Batch Report

Post by RSteinwand »

Hi Albert,

Currently, to see a bad link, you have to click the link to the page and scroll down to the red sections to see the link.

Maybe you could have a section listing just the bad links and link to the page it's found on? I can't edit from the batch report anyway so will need to search and replace all the bad links as it is.

Since I'm located in a sanitary environment with lots of social media blocked, it's difficult to see what links are broken vs blocked.

Thanks!
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Bad links in Batch Report

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Rick,

I think the 'Master Link Report' may have what you want. Do you have this report enabled in the 'Link Report' page of the Batch Wizard Options?
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/2019/docs ... t_node.htm
Generate a Master Link Report - Check this box to generate a "Master Link Report" page that contains a list of all error links followed by a list of all warning links compiled from all the links that were checked. Link checking must be enabled for this option to have an effect. This option is enabled by default. (New v10.0122)
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
DimitriAus
Rank I - Novice

Post by DimitriAus »

This Master Link Report shows errors only. It ignores 'include all' in link report.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

DimitriAus wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:29 pm This Master Link Report shows errors only. It ignores 'include all' in link report.
Hello,

The Master Link Report should show both error links and warning links... but you are correct that the Master Link Report does not show links that are neither errors nor warnings.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
DimitriAus
Rank I - Novice

Post by DimitriAus »

Albert Wiersch wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:05 am
DimitriAus wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:29 pm This Master Link Report shows errors only. It ignores 'include all' in link report.
Hello,
The Master Link Report should show both error links and warning links... but you are correct that the Master Link Report does not show links that are neither errors nor warnings.
Yes, I figured that out. But links are unreasonably scattered all over report pages. I have to click on bad links (heading) then select a page then scroll scroll scroll down looking for Bad Links among good ones AND looking for unexpected external links at the same time. Bad Links are almost the same color as good. It become very tiring even with a dozen pages. What people with 1000 web pages do? I bet they try and gave up on the product.
What I expect on the error report:
Separate lists of bad links (bright red) from ALL pages in one list, enabled by default. If bad links report not enabled or cached, there should be a notification. The second list of all OK internal links (if enabled optionally), the third list of all external links (if enabled optionally). Sure links should scroll to individual pages when you click on them.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. The bad links are listed for each page in the target's link report which appears under the validation messages for the target. I'm not sure what you mean by them being "unreasonably scattered all over report pages".

There is also a 'Master Link Report' that lists all the error and warning links from all targets. This report is generated/enabled by default.

Good links are not listed by default, in order to keep the list of links in the link report from getting out of hand (and the report from getting too big).

Maybe I would understand better if you could share your Batch Wizard report? Can you ZIP your report files and email it to me via email attachment to support at htmlvalidator dot com?

Thank you.