puzzling error - could not find doctype

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
jscar
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice

puzzling error - could not find doctype

Post by jscar »

Hi

I am getting "Cannot determine the doctype for running nsgmls. Could not find DOCTYPE or XML declaration" when validating http://www.eden.gov.uk/main.asp?page=25 ... ts%20Panel

The page clearly has a doctype and other pages with exactly the same doctype are not being errored.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Note, the URL in the link to that page i.e the one that CSE would follow has a space in it not the %20 ie <A HREF="main.asp?page=2527&Year=2005&tblCommitteeID=10&committee_name=Appointments Panel">. Would that make any difference?

Rgds

J.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

When I use File->Open from the Web to open and check with nsgmls:
http://www.eden.gov.uk/main.asp?page=25 ... ts%20Panel

It works fine.

If I change %20 to a space, then it loads a blank document. I suspect that is indeed the problem.

To work around this, I will consider having CSE HTML Validator auto convert the spaces to %20 before requesting a document. However, links should use %20 instead of actual space characters.
Albert Wiersch

John_raf
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by John_raf »

Your doctype has a couple of spaces in it, also two quotes. noted sunday 19.20hrs gmt 2nd december 2007.

Seasons greetings
John Raf :)
Happy to communicate on a forum, provided good manners are employed, good none aggressive conversation is enjoyable. None of us ever stop learning!

jscar
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice

Post by jscar »

John_raf wrote:Your doctype has a couple of spaces in it, also two quotes. noted sunday 19.20hrs gmt 2nd december 2007.
thanks John - but I don't think that is causing the error - exactly the same doctype string is in use on other pages that are not throwing that error.

(and season's greetings to you too :D)

J.

jscar
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice

Post by jscar »

Albert Wiersch wrote:When I use File->Open from the Web to open and check with nsgmls:
http://www.eden.gov.uk/main.asp?page=25 ... ts%20Panel

It works fine.

If I change %20 to a space, then it loads a blank document. I suspect that is indeed the problem.

To work around this, I will consider having CSE HTML Validator auto convert the spaces to %20 before requesting a document. However, links should use %20 instead of actual space characters.
Thanks Albert, I replace the spaces.

John_raf
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by John_raf »

Quite right the two quotes are correct of course,,, it was the spaces that threw me,, I am trying to excuse myself,, as in some cases a space may be deadly when it shouldnt be there,, and in other cases the browser is forgiving. I think I have it right this time.

Seasons greetings,

John Eden
Happy to communicate on a forum, provided good manners are employed, good none aggressive conversation is enjoyable. None of us ever stop learning!

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

In the upcoming CSE HTML Validator Professional v9.0 BETA release, the Batch Wizard should now handle spaces better by converting them to %20 before requesting the URL. If spaces are converted, then it will also note it in the log file with a message like this:
IMPORTANT: Converted one or more space characters to %20. Use %20 instead of space characters in URLs.
Albert Wiersch