I need to validate the value for given tag on all my pages

For technical support for all editions of CSS HTML Validator. Includes bug reports.
QAEnineer
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

I need to validate the value for given tag on all my pages

Post by QAEnineer » Sat May 28, 2005 3:11 pm

Hi Albert,

I have already send you an email to Customer Support, but I thought I post my quesiton here agin just in case lol. I am planning on purchasing the Pro Edition of your product. I need to know if I can do the following.

I want to scan through all the urls in my company site and validate that each source code has a <title> (Or given tag, not necessarly title) and output it's value to a log file if it found/not found.

so

1) Output an error if <title> (Given any tag) if it is missing
2) if it is not missing (Found), what was it's value and in which URL?
3) repeat this for all the URL at http://xxx.xxx.com (go deep)

is this possible?

PS: I also a registered (AutomationGuy) another user here (1 hour ago) but never got an email so I had to re-register under this user.

tx,
QAEngineer

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need to validate the value for given tag on all my pag

Post by Albert Wiersch » Sat May 28, 2005 5:21 pm

QAEnineer wrote:1) Output an error if <title> (Given any tag) if it is missing
2) if it is not missing (Found), what was it's value and in which URL?
3) repeat this for all the URL at http://xxx.xxx.com (go deep)

is this possible?
Hello,

1) Yes, you can do this in the pro edition by checking to make sure that the title tag has been used in the end validation program. In fact, CSE already generates a warning when the "title" tag is not used. You can upgrade that to an error.

2) Yes, you can generate a validator message with the title content. But you can't log it to a file. To do this, you'll need to use the Configuration Editor in the pro edition to make it generate the message.

3) You can use the Batch Wizard to check a site and have it follow the links it finds to "dig down" into the site.

So, for the most part, it sounds like it can do what you want. Hope this helps!
Albert Wiersch

QAEnineer
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by QAEnineer » Sat May 28, 2005 6:59 pm

Oh thank you so much. You sold me the Pro Edition lol

One more question...

Our application reuqires a "login" (Just like this forum), if a user doesn't login, many pages won't be available for him. Can your link validated enter "Value" into a "Form" input (Such as login/password) and then continue?

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Sun May 29, 2005 9:55 am

QAEnineer wrote:Our application reuqires a "login" (Just like this forum), if a user doesn't login, many pages won't be available for him. Can your link validated enter "Value" into a "Form" input (Such as login/password) and then continue?
Currently, the only way to enter form values is to put the value in a URL target with something like "?var1=value&var2=value2".

Please also note that the Batch Wizard does not support cookies. The integrated web browser does, so you can use that to browse the site while you check your site's HTML output. But that method would require you to manually go to any page you want to check.
Albert Wiersch

QAEnineer
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Can you add a plug in?

Post by QAEnineer » Sun May 29, 2005 11:28 am

Thanks Albert:

So in the "integrated web browser " what would it take for you to add a plug which adds an "ICON" on the Browser (On the top) (Similir to a prodocut like http://www.simtec.ltd.uk/default.htm ).

This enhancement will allow me (Or any other Automation engineer) to write scripts to navigate to site (Which requires form inputing) and validate the page by clicking on that "Icon" created by the plug in.

Here is my problem, When you login to our webiste, it creates a "JsessionID", this sesssion ID is used throughout the entire session you are logged in. So, when I use your CSE application, I have to open a browser, login and navigate to the url, get the URL address (Remember the url has the session ID appended to the end, Similiar what you wrote on the top but with Session ID also) and paste it to the CSE application for validation, Correct?. But this method isn't working today (the CSE displays that it is downloading the url but sits there for ever), since that sessionID is only good for that browser. But if I had an "Icon" on that broswer to click on "while I was in that session", then the validation would work just fine (I don't need to copy and paste). What is your opinion on this?

PS: I downloaded the pro version and YES it does what I want. Thank you. forget this posting then. lol

Thank you,
QE.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can you add a plug in?

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon May 30, 2005 8:20 am

QAEnineer wrote:I downloaded the pro version and YES it does what I want. Thank you. forget this posting then.
Great. You must have discovered the integrated web browser. :-) It will let you do what you want, browse the web and validate the source (use browse mode instead of preview mode in the integrated web browser).
Albert Wiersch