Can't open files on a Network drive / File locking issues

Post anything about TopStyle here. NOTE: TopStyle has been discontinued.

Moderator: TopStyle Support

gambit37
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Can't open files on a Network drive / File locking issues

Post by gambit37 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:17 am

I can't seem to edit files on a Network drive using TopStyle 4.

I've tested this with other editing tools (Notepad, Dreamweaver) and they can handle editing on our network drives with no problem.

I'm running Windows 7 and connecting to a Mac Server on a mapped drive letter. When I try to open a HTML file in TopStyle I receive this error:
Cannot open file XXX. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
I've tried it both using a mapped drive letter and a full UNC path, no difference.

In addition, TopStyle often reports the same error on files on my local drives, which seems to be connected to Windows Explorer Preview Pane. If the Preview is showing the HTML file, TopStyle *sometimes* refuses to open that file, with the same error as above. There also seems to be some connection with another bug I reported, that TopStyle reports files were edited outside TopStyle even though they weren't.

I think there maybe a core problem between TopStyle and Windows File Permissions handling. Is this something that can be looked into please? These 3 issues are driving me nuts, and I don't really want to switch to Dreamweaver or another tool.

Many thanks.

TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Can't open files on a Network drive / File locking issue

Post by TopStyle Support » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Do you have write access to the mapped drive? Notepad and Dreamweaver might be able to open the document for reading, but that does not mean you can actually edit and save the document. TopStyle assumes there is no need for read-only access, and always requires write access.

gambit37
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Post by gambit37 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Yes, I have full write access and have tested the creation and saving of files directly on the server using NotePad and Dreamweaver. All other programs work fine too: PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc can all create files on the server.

gambit37
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Post by gambit37 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:36 am

My apologies, I've reported one of the issues incorrectly.

TopStyle can in fact create a file successfully on the mapped drive. I can do a File -> New HTML Document and then save it on the mapped drive which is OK. However, I can't then re-open the file in TopStyle -- it gives the error I reported.

It's easily reproducible. Just put any HTML file on a mapped drive and try opening it in TopStyle. No dice.

The other two problems are hard to reproduce, because they don't happen consistently. Are there any steps you can offer me to help troubleshoot here?

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Do you still have this problem when you disable or turn off your security software (like anti-virus)?
Albert Wiersch

TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by TopStyle Support » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:31 am

gambit37 wrote: TopStyle can in fact create a file successfully on the mapped drive. I can do a File -> New HTML Document and then save it on the mapped drive which is OK. However, I can't then re-open the file in TopStyle -- it gives the error I reported. It's easily reproducible. Just put any HTML file on a mapped drive and try opening it in TopStyle. No dice.
I cannot seem to reproduce this. Here's what I did:
1. File > New HTML Document
2. Saved it to a mapped drive
3. Closed and reopened TopStyle
4. File > Open
5. Opened the document that was saved in step #2

Result: no error. Am I missing something?
gambit37 wrote: The other two problems are hard to reproduce, because they don't happen consistently. Are there any steps you can offer me to help troubleshoot here?
Have you tried to disable this setting?

Options (F8) > General > "Ask to reload files modified outside of TopStyle"

gambit37
Rank I - Novice
Rank I - Novice

Post by gambit37 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 am

@Albert: Disabling anti-virus and firewall makes no difference to the mapped drive problem. Not sure about the other issues as they are hard to reproduce.

@Stefan: Curious! I always get the error. So there's clearly a difference in our setup. Do we need to compare notes on our setups?