Error message - styles: mismatch of braces

Post anything about TopStyle here. NOTE: TopStyle has been discontinued.

Moderator: TopStyle Support

jgcordes
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice

Error message - styles: mismatch of braces

Post by jgcordes » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Hello, I have just downloaded the trial version TopStyle 4 - 4.0.0.88. I am a complete novice with TopStyle so I do apologize if this question has been discussed before. I have searched some on the forum for an answer but no luck. I have been a user of CSE HTML Validator for a few years.

I have opened an HTML file of my own construction and tried running the Styles check. There is one Error reported: "The number of open braces does not match the number of close braces".
My file has some styles defined in the HEAD section as well as referencing an external stylesheet.

I do not think there are mismatched braces in the file. Doing a Find All (within TopStyle) on "{" and "}" reports 18 occurrences of each. I have gone through the file carefully and do not find any mis-matches.

A possible explanation: There is a Google Analytics chunk of javascript at the end of the file, one line of which contains two closing braces. Thus there are only 17 *lines* containing a closing brace, whereas there are 18 *lines* with an opening brace. Could this possibly be the cause of the reported error?

Is there any way to get more information from the csstidy module beyond the "1 Error" message?

Thanks,
John Cordes

TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Error message - styles: mismatch of braces

Post by TopStyle Support » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:53 am

Send me your document, and I'll look into this.

support AT topstyle4 DOT com

Thanks!

jgcordes
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice

Post by jgcordes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks for the response. However, when I opened the file today the style check no longer generates the "mismatching braces" error message. The file has not been changed, and I have not modified any TopStyle configurations. I do not know why the report has changed. Could it be anything to do with running the trial version? I do not know what the message on the startup screen means, when it says (something like) "you can only select and use a maximum number of two style definitions" -- is that only for adding styles to a document? I have not done any editing on my document at all, in Top Style.

John Cordes

TopStyle Support
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by TopStyle Support » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:50 am

jgcordes wrote:Could it be anything to do with running the trial version?
No.