CSE stopped working right in TopStyle 5.0

Post anything about TopStyle here. NOTE: TopStyle has been discontinued.

Moderator: TopStyle Support

Post Reply
Mike940
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:58 pm

CSE stopped working right in TopStyle 5.0

Post by Mike940 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:11 am

Code: Select all

[size=85][/size]
I just upgraded to CSE HTML Validator v15.01 from V15.0. I checked a couple of HTML files in it and it works as great as ever. But those same exact files when tested in the latest version of TS (5.0) don't validate correctly. I'm using the CSE HTML Validator tab under HTML.

The first two error messages I get are:
1 3 Found a misplaced document type declaration (<!DOCTYPE ... >). The DOCTYPE should normally be the first line of the document. An exception is for XML based documents where the first line is normally the XML declaration (<?xml ... >) and the second line is the document type declaration.
2 2 The "html" element cannot be used here. The "html" element is the root element of an HTML document and has already been used. It can only be used once, and only as the root element.
The same thing happens if I save the file then reopen it. I have closed TS and CSE and everything else and rebooted. No help.

But If I check it via TS's W3C HTML Validator, I get: "This document was successfully checked as HTML5!"

I've repeated these tests several times with different parameters on one of the files.

I finally discovered that the problem was that the file was saved nominally as UTF-8 but at some point had been converted to ANSI by the composer component of SeaMonkey. I converted it back to UTF-8 using an online converter and the CSE tab in TS worked as it should.

The file is pretty simple. The code looks the same in -8 as it does in ANSI. And I believe I had the exact same file open in TS before I upgraded CSE, and it worked before but not after. And in either case, it tests just fine in straight CSE and W3C.

I've never had this problem in my 5 or more years of using TS, so is this a bug or am I missing something?

User avatar
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3359
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: CSE stopped working right in TopStyle 5.0

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:09 am

That is strange. It could be an encoding issue as you alluded to (like corruption or using an encoding that does not match what the document claims). If you are able to send a sample document that I can use to reproduce the problem, then please send it via email attachment to support at htmlvalidator.com and I will try to reproduce this to determine why it's happening.
Image
Albert Wiersch

Mike940
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:58 pm

Re: CSE stopped working right in TopStyle 5.0

Post by Mike940 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks, Albert. Just sent it a a couple of files showing the differing results in TS and CSE.

m

User avatar
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3359
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: CSE stopped working right in TopStyle 5.0

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks. Got it.... and I should be able to take a look tomorrow.

UPDATE: Sent a new version of CSE HTML Validator to try.
Image
Albert Wiersch

Post Reply