Help problems

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Help problems

Post by roedygr »

Three requests for help.

1. Have Ctrl-C work so I can copy stuff to paste elsewhere. There is a copy command but it does not seem to do anything.

2. let me search a page for a string to find precisely what I am looking for.

3. in the Command Line option, but a summary reference table at the beginning. It has a column of the option and a column of at most one sentence on what it does. If you need more detail, read the existing narrative. If you want I will generate you some HTML to include if that would be useful.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Help problems

Post by Albert Wiersch »

roedygr wrote:1. Have Ctrl-C work so I can copy stuff to paste elsewhere. There is a copy command but it does not seem to do anything.
I do not know why Ctrl+C does not work in the help but if you right-click and choose 'Copy' then it should (at least it does for me).
roedygr wrote:2. let me search a page for a string to find precisely what I am looking for.
There should be a 'Search' tab in the help. Does it not do what you want?
roedygr wrote:3. in the Command Line option, but a summary reference table at the beginning. It has a column of the option and a column of at most one sentence on what it does. If you need more detail, read the existing narrative. If you want I will generate you some HTML to include if that would be useful.
I think that's a good idea. I'll try to get this done and add a command & option summary to the 'Command Line Arguments' help page.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

right click copy does not work for me. I will experiment further.

Search tab searches all of help. When I get to the right page I want to search in that page for some fine detail. e.g. the -v switch.
Have a Ctrl-F F3 work as is the editor.

I have composed a summary table you can use as a base if you want.
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlvalidato ... OMMANDLINE

I will upload it once I get everything past the new validator.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

roedygr wrote:right click copy does not work for me. I will experiment further.
That's strange.
roedygr wrote:Search tab searches all of help. When I get to the right page I want to search in that page for some fine detail. e.g. the -v switch.
Have a Ctrl-F F3 work as is the editor.
I don't think that the help system supports that type of search functionality but if I find out otherwise then I'll post back.
roedygr wrote:I have composed a summary table you can use as a base if you want.
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlvalidato ... OMMANDLINE

I will upload it once I get everything past the new validator.
Great. I'll take a look and get that new summary section in there. UPDATE: Added!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial