shutdown bug

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional
Rank V - Professional

shutdown bug

Post by roedygr » Sat May 03, 2008 11:50 am

I clicked Close Complete after validating about a dozen documents.
All documents closed.

Then I clicked the X to close the app.

It refused to exit. It said that it was waiting for link checking to finish. I eventually had to kill it with the task manager.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Sat May 03, 2008 1:09 pm

Hello,

How long did you wait after clicking X to shut it down? Sometimes it can be awhile if it is in the middle of checking a link that is not responding. CSE HTML Validator v9.0 will try to abort the link checking in a "nicer way" than older versions if you try to shut it down while it is checking links in the background.

If you can reproduce this, then please tell me how, sending me any needed files (like those with the links causing the issue) and I can look into it. My thought is that there were links that were timing out (taking a long time) and you may not have waited long enough. But I will double check something in the code.
Albert Wiersch

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Tue May 06, 2008 2:15 pm

Albert Wiersch wrote:But I will double check something in the code.
I checked the code I suspected and couldn't find anything so if you can reproduce this issue, then please let me know. I still suspect it was a timeout issue on one of the links/domains being checked and this caused it to take awhile.
Albert Wiersch

roedygr
Rank V - Professional
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr » Wed May 07, 2008 3:13 am

Albert Wiersch wrote:
Albert Wiersch wrote:But I will double check something in the code.
I checked the code I suspected and couldn't find anything so if you can reproduce this issue, then please let me know. I still suspect it was a timeout issue on one of the links/domains being checked and this caused it to take awhile.
I waited over 4 minutes. for the "stopping link check before exiting..." message.

I had run a check of the whole site with a 1 day limit. Then I corrected problems in a couple of files and tried to exit. The thing I edited before quitting was mindprod.css. You can download my entire website via the Replicator. see http://mindprod.com/webstart/replicator.html
It also lets you update just the changes thereafter. It might be useful for stress testing large batches.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Wed May 07, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks for the additional information. 4 minutes does sound too long to me. I think any checks should have timed out by then.

I plan to take a closer look at this issue before the release.
Albert Wiersch

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Fri May 09, 2008 12:47 pm

I used the Replicator and downloaded your site. Definitely looks like it will be useful for testing.

I was able to reproduce the shutdown problem. It seemed to be caused by trying to shutdown when the Batch Wizard was still processing, perhaps checking links.

I've added a message that will now display if the Batch Wizard is processing when you try to shut down. The user will have to stop the Batch Wizard first or wait for it to finish before shutting down. I think that will fix this problem and prevent someone from shutting down CSE HTML Validator before their Batch Wizard job is finished.
Albert Wiersch