Replace and Replace All.

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
Post Reply
cmanvell
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Replace and Replace All.

Post by cmanvell » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:54 am

I am finding that in Search and Replace @Replace All@ is not working and just returns 'not found'. Thus, to replace text, I have to do Search and Replace one at a time. As I am busy converting some HTML pages in which quotation marks in tags have been omitted to XHTML this is particularly galling, especially as there does not seem to be a short cut to go to the next occurrence of the search string. Other than that, no problem s found.

Chris.

User avatar
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks. I think I may have reproduced this problem. Can you try a "Replace in All Open Documents" operation and check the "Prompt on replace" option? Does it work when that option is checked?
Image
Albert Wiersch

cmanvell
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Post by cmanvell » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:57 pm

Thank you for your response Albert.

I did a bit more experimenting and found that even trying to change one at a time (using 'OK' and w/o confirm) I would get a message saying that 1 item had been changed but, in fact, no S&R had happened. However, doing a S&R with Confirm did work but very slow!

However, I discovered another problem while doing this. Using Shift-Del (my main way of cutting text so as to move it) didn't appear to do anything.

All the best,
Chris.

User avatar
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi Chris,

How many files do you have open in the editor when you do the search/replace?
Image
Albert Wiersch

cmanvell
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Post by cmanvell » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi Albrt.

As it is 0020 and I am off to bed, I will reply in the/our morning.

Chris.

cmanvell
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Post by cmanvell » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:56 am

Good morning Albert.

My apologies for misspelling your name last night, I was very tired.

To answer your question, I had just one file open.

I hit another problem just before going to be as well. I had blocked some lines of text and used the tag bar to drop down the '!' (Comment) tag. The application came up with a "There has been a problem" message (details were sent to you). Without checking anything, I closed the file, responding affirmatively to the "Do you want to save..." message. When I re-opened the file, the block of text had disappeared. I tried again this morning with the same result.

Best wishes,
Chris.

User avatar
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by Albert Wiersch » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:00 am

cmanvell wrote:I hit another problem just before going to be as well. I had blocked some lines of text and used the tag bar to drop down the '!' (Comment) tag. The application came up with a "There has been a problem" message (details were sent to you). Without checking anything, I closed the file, responding affirmatively to the "Do you want to save..." message. When I re-opened the file, the block of text had disappeared. I tried again this morning with the same result.
Thanks. I think this issue has already been fixed for the next BETA. However, if you can supply a sample document and exact steps to reproduce the problem (including which lines you selected/blocked and how you did it), then I'd be happy to make sure.
Image
Albert Wiersch

cmanvell
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Post by cmanvell » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 am

Hello Albert.

The page concerned was http://azg.manvell.org.uk/membership/ap ... n_form.htm which you can download. (The page is still in draft and is not public.) It was based on an HTML page in which nearly all the tags ad no quotation marks, e.g. <td class=center><input name="Webpages0" type=radio value='' />. I did Ctrl-R to get up the window and entered the search term and replacement term in the usual way. With settings set to global and From text start/end, I did an Alt-A and the app. responded with 'Not found'. Trying by using [OK] returned 1 change made. In the end I used Confirm each which did work but was laborious.

Hope that helps.

Chris.

User avatar
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3397
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by Albert Wiersch » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks Chris,

I reported this to the editor component developer and believe he's fixed the problem in the latest version he's sent me. I tested it with your description/method and it seemed to work... so I expect this to be fixed in the next BETA.
Image
Albert Wiersch

Post Reply