Link checking

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Link checking

Post by RSteinwand »

I noticed the links tab after validating and it had the paths all wrong. All the bad links were shown similar to "D:\scripts\filename.js", where the drive letter was right, but that scripts folder should have be more like "d:\web\company1\site1\scripts". I suspect it was "drive letter" + path and file name from the file.

After a little detective work, I found reference to the linkcheckercfg.xml file and it looked promising. Since it didn't exist, which I found a little strange, I was getting ready to create it manually, when I found (in Help) I could open it from the Tools menu...

Can't open document.
An error occurred trying to open
"C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Roaming\AI Internet
Solutions\CSE HTML Validator\9.0\linkcheckercfg.xml".

This was an "upgrade" from version 8 lite, using program defaults so technically a new install and my first install of this beta.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks for reporting this. I found a problem where the file wasn't being copied correctly so that's probably why it wasn't there.

You can create this config file where it thinks it should be ("C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Roaming\AI Internet
Solutions\CSE HTML Validator\9.0\linkcheckercfg.xml")... it should look something like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<linkcheckercfg>
 <pathmapcfgset>
 </pathmapcfgset>
</linkcheckercfg>
If you check the documentation for the Link Checking tab of the Validator Engine Options then it should tell you how to address the issue you are having. I think if you use this file (or something like it) then it will fix the problem. You could also have it checked via HTTP (see documentation).

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<linkcheckercfg>
 <pathmapcfgset>
  <pathmapcfg basebeginswith="d:\web\company1\site1\" mapto="d:\web\company1\site1\" />
 </pathmapcfgset>
</linkcheckercfg>
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

What's the fun in that? :wink:

I'll wait and see if the next version can create it.
cmanvell
Rank II - Novice

Post by cmanvell »

Hallo Albert. Thank you for your response to my earlier request for support. I have responded to part of it by email.

Regarding this file, I too get the "Can't load..." message but with the following text.

Error(s); 2004120702: LoadNodeTreeAsChildren(): error loading child; 2004120705: LoadNodeTree(); missing '=' for attribute "?" for tag "?xml" near/on line 1

No links are being checked during validation. Any suggestions.

Best wishes,
Chris Manvell.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

cmanvell wrote:Hallo Albert. Thank you for your response to my earlier request for support. I have responded to part of it by email.

Regarding this file, I too get the "Can't load..." message but with the following text.

Error(s); 2004120702: LoadNodeTreeAsChildren(): error loading child; 2004120705: LoadNodeTree(); missing '=' for attribute "?" for tag "?xml" near/on line 1

No links are being checked during validation. Any suggestions.

Best wishes,
Chris Manvell.
Hi Chris, I think there may have been a bug I found and fixed that may be causing this. Make sure there is no UTF-8 preamble at the beginning of the file. The very first character should be "<". You may need to use another editor to make sure. If you use CSE HTML Validator v8.0 or earlier, then it will display those characters and you can delete them. The 3 characters will look like garbage at the beginning of the file. If this doesn't help, then please email me the file that is causing the error.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
cmanvell
Rank II - Novice

Post by cmanvell »

Hi Albert.

You were right. I downloaded Beta 2 earlier this evening and installed it. However, when I opened the program I got the following error message.

"Cannot load link checker configuration file.
Error(s): 2004120702: LoadNodeTreeAsChildren(): error loading child."

I had a look at the linkcheckercfg file and note that it has not updated and still showing up as having been modified at 0800UT (GMT).

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Chris.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Chris,

CSE HTML Validator won't update a config file that already exists since it doesn't check to see if you changed it (otherwise it might overwrite your changes).

Try deleting the file and replacing it with linkcheckercfg.xml.dist in the CSE HTML Validator installation folder. Be sure to remove the ".dist" part after you've copied it by renaming the file.
cmanvell
Rank II - Novice

Post by cmanvell »

Thanks Albert. That resolves that particular problem.

I've run a couple of validations and found a rather strange problem. One page checks the links fine and puts up the results. But a second page shows up nothing at all. This second page is a web directory so has about 700 internal and external links on it. But nothing displays in spite of there being quite a few (56) known problems. I am not sure if this is a new thing or not and I cannot find ay settings that could affect it. I would, at least, expect the bad links to be listed.

All the best,
Chris.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

cmanvell wrote:I've run a couple of validations and found a rather strange problem. One page checks the links fine and puts up the results. But a second page shows up nothing at all. This second page is a web directory so has about 700 internal and external links on it. But nothing displays in spite of there being quite a few (56) known problems. I am not sure if this is a new thing or not and I cannot find ay settings that could affect it. I would, at least, expect the bad links to be listed.
Hi Chris,

Can you tell me how to reproduce this problem and send me any needed files? Thank you.
cmanvell
Rank II - Novice

Post by cmanvell »

Will do that tomorrow.

Chris.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Just had a problem with the links tab (which I haven't used since I started this thread) 6 weeks ago.

I was validating a page and clicked on the Links tab, then wasn't able to leave that tab, even though I could still scroll the results. Of course the status was "File Not Found" for all of the 10 links since it assumes D:\ is the root for every one of them (and I never setup the config file you mentioned before). After about a minute of clicking on tabs, finally a Tip dialog came up "You can double-click on a link....". I assume some background link search process is running during the minute or so I was locked out.

If someone had a older, slower pc, I can imagine someone might end up doing a Ctrl-alt-Del if their pc was doing this for 3-4 minutes.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:Just had a problem with the links tab (which I haven't used since I started this thread) 6 weeks ago.
Hello, I was reviewing some older messages so it's been awhile since you posted this but I was wondering if you have run across any problems with the Links tab in the current beta (v9.02 BETA 2B/2C)?
John Zeman
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by John Zeman »

Albert I wasn't involved in this thread before, but your last message caused me to test the link checker again. It fails on all links, reporting [Error Computing Path] for every link in every file I've test so far.

Using pro version 9.02 beta 2B

If it helps, here is the url of one of the files I used to test the links

http://visitwesterniowa.com/links.html

edit: I posted the wrong url before.
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Albert it is a true story. none of the links check. This is not new to BATA 2B. I went back to BATA 2A (cse90195) same problem.

I tried "links only" as well as validate all. Both absolute and relative links fail.

return the same [error computing path] ( link in code); Status [not checked]

URL tested http://www.knob.com
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

For those having trouble with the link checker, please re-download and you should get "BETA 2C" which should fix this. I'm sorry for the trouble.