Feature Request. 2 new buttons on Batch Report

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Feature Request. 2 new buttons on Batch Report

Post by roedygr »

It would be highly convenient and would save me a lot of time and frustration if there were two buttons on the batch validation report next to a file with problems.

1) When I click it, it makes the browser render the page itself, (not the list of problems). From there I can do a view source to edit it.

2) When I click it, it takes me back into the running non-batch Validatior and loads the corresponding html source file ready to revalidate, edit, etc.

How might you implement this?

1) is pretty simple, just a file:///somedir/somefile.html link.

2) is more complicated. You might trigger some Java script that uses black arts to send the name of the source file to HTML Validator. You might have a link to http:///localhost:99?somedir/somefile.html to send a GET when you click it with the name of the file. CSE Validator would act like a miniature webserver to intercept the message and load the file for edit. This sort of code is trivial in Java. I don't know about C++. See http://mindprod.com/products.html#ECHOSERVER
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Post by roedygr »

A simpler way to get a similar effect for button (2) is to have a command inside CSE Validator that says "Load all files for edit that had problems in the last batch validation."

Now your problem is how to say that tersely.

"Load Last Batch"
"Batch Problems"

Such a command would be useful even if there were a button (2). You use the command whenever the list of problems to solve were not ginormous.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

For #1, from a summary report you can already click on the document to go to the list of problems. From the list of problems you can click on the document again to open it in the browser. Is this sufficient or would you like an "(open)" link or similar next to the document in the summary report page so you can open the document in a browser window directly from the summary page?

For #2, I'm thinking that a list of documents with problems could be compiled and a new tab in the Batch Wizard could be used to list those documents, and from there you could open them in the editor. How does this sound? If you like it, then I may implement it for a future version but most likely will not be able to implement it for v9.00.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial