Should JavaScript checking default to on or off?

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should JavaScript checking default to on or off?

Post by Albert Wiersch » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:48 am

As you may know, v9.0 of CSE HTML Validator integrates with JavaScript Lint to provide JavaScript syntax checking and linting.

I am considering turning this feature off by default. I'm concerned it may be too confusing and overwhelming to new users especially when added to all the other capabilities and messages that CSE HTML Validator generates.

So I'd like to ask here and get some opinions, what do you think the default should be for JavaScript checking (what's best for a new user)? On or off?
Last edited by Albert Wiersch on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Wiersch

thenitbit
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Default setting Javascript Lint checking

Post by thenitbit » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:28 am

Personally, I think I may need some more time to figure out all the warnings that Javascript Lint produces.
I opt for default off in HTML Validator.

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:52 am

I don't have a problem leaving it on, in fact prefer it that way.

John Zeman
Rank III - Intermediate
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by John Zeman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 am

Although I commonly use JavaScript fragments in my pages, I'd prefer the default option for JavaScript checking to be off.

MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:56 pm

Provided that I get JS Lint sorted out with the Batch tool, here's my suggestion.

Experienced users are likely to not know about the JS tool. They could go on for a long time unaware that it's there.

I suggest putting it on by default because:
1) That is probably right. (If you ever switch JS error reporting on in your browser you'll see what a mess this is, all over the web.)
2) It will make everyone aware of it. (It's easy to switch it off.)

I have noticed a lot of warnings from third party JavaScript files. I have no test cases for such code so am unlikely to touch it, ever. In these cases a way to tell JS Lint to never touch the file would have value.