BETA TESTING - BUG OR?

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
Poul_Erik
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

BETA TESTING - BUG OR?

Post by Poul_Erik »

I really need that every window in Result can Mouse Scroll when it has focus. Only some of Results Windows does that!

It would be a great improvement!

Thanks,
Poul Erik
Poul Erik Rasmussen

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Poul,

Which window are you referring to that isn't working?

If you have the "1" button pressed on the right side of the Results Window, then clicking on a message with only 1 click will take you to the relevant text in the document for that message and put the focus on the editor. You may want to "unpress" the "1" button so you can single-click in the Results Window and it keeps the focus so you can more easily use the mouse scroll. If you want to click on a message and go to the editor, then you can double-click the message instead (when the "1" button is not pressed).
Albert Wiersch

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

All else fails, download and install katmouse. It'll scroll windows that don't have focus.

Poul_Erik
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Wrong Mouse Scroll Wheel

Post by Poul_Erik »

If I click in Message Window and use Mouse Scroll, my Editor Window is scrolling. I expected that my Message Window would scroll very "irritated".

Regards,
Poul Erik
Poul Erik Rasmussen

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

I've seen that behavior in Windows as well.

Open Windows explorer and find a folder that has enough entries so you have a scroll bar on both windows. Using your mouse wheel try to scroll main window. Many times the folder window on the side will scroll instead.

Katmouse will fix that. http://ehiti.de/katmouse It's designed to scroll any window with focus or not, even windows with a dialog present that normally prevents scrolling.

The only issues I've had with it is with Vista, where I have to run it as administrator and still it doesn't always work as intended for all windows.

FWIW, it works perfectly in Xp.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wrong Mouse Scroll Wheel

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Poul_Erik wrote:If I click in Message Window and use Mouse Scroll, my Editor Window is scrolling. I expected that my Message Window would scroll very "irritated".
The only way I can reproduce this when single-clicking on a message in the Results Window is when the "1" button is depressed because it will give focus to the editor. If it's not depressed, then I can scroll through the messages.

Katmouse seem to "fix" this by scrolling the window underneath the mouse pointer instead of the one with active focus. Sounds like a nice utility I may have to try.
KatMouse Website wrote:The prime purpose of the KatMouse utility is to enhance the functionality of mice with a scroll wheel, offering 'universal' scrolling: moving the mouse wheel will scroll the window directly beneath the mouse cursor (not the one with the keyboard focus, which is default on Windows OSes). This is a major increase in the usefullness of the mouse wheel.
Albert Wiersch

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Wrong Mouse Scroll Wheel

Post by RSteinwand »

Albert Wiersch wrote: Sounds like a nice utility I may have to try.
It's one of my must-have utilities.

Poul_Erik
Rank 0 - Newcomer
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Mouse Wheel and Result Windows

Post by Poul_Erik »

If you go through the result windows and make them active one by one and try to scroll with Mouse Wheel you will see different actions depending actual window. Ex. Message Window don't scroll - Links Window Scroll as expected.

Hope this help you.
Poul Erik
Poul Erik Rasmussen

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

With Katmouse, they all scroll for me, even when CSE isn't the active window (Vista Business).

With Katmouse shut down, all scroll except "structure-right side", but only after I click in the window I want to scroll.

I suspect changing the code so the window has focus when the tab is clicked might improve that, (but would that break).

Poul, if that behavior causes you to be "very irritated", I suspect the list of applications that doesn't scroll as intended, is very long. :wink:

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mouse Wheel and Result Windows

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Poul_Erik wrote:If you go through the result windows and make them active one by one and try to scroll with Mouse Wheel you will see different actions depending actual window. Ex. Message Window don't scroll - Links Window Scroll as expected.
Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what issue you are having. I think scrolling could vary depending on mouse drivers. The text in the Message Window does scroll for me when I give it the focus. I couldn't find a tab in the Results Window that didn't scroll if it had the focus.

I did another test, going through the tabs in the Results Window. I could scroll each one with the mouse as I went through the tabs (when it had the focus).

Are you using Windows XP? That's what I tested this with. I wonder if this behavior could be different in a different OS?
Albert Wiersch

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:With Katmouse, they all scroll for me, even when CSE isn't the active window (Vista Business).

With Katmouse shut down, all scroll except "structure-right side", but only after I click in the window I want to scroll.
Probably because the structure window can't easily get focus. If you click on it, then it typically puts the cursor in the editor and makes the editor the active control.
Albert Wiersch

RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Mouse Wheel and Result Windows

Post by RSteinwand »

Albert Wiersch wrote: I think scrolling could vary depending on mouse drivers.
Some drivers are better at that, especially laptop touchpad drivers.