v7.00 BETA 1

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

v7.00 BETA 1

Post by Albert Wiersch »

UPDATE on v7.00 BETA:

I plan to release v7.0 BETA 1 by the end of January 2005. I am continuing to work on it and will get as much as I can into it. I do plan to continue to add new features to further BETAs until a certain point when I feel that it's time to get a release out soon (probably mid-year in June or July of 2005).

If you'd like to use the BETA versions, then you must be licensed to use the latest professional version (6.5x Pro). Also, please be sure to opt-in to BETA mailings if you haven't already and to monitor the RSS feed for announcements.

If you're not using the latest pro version, then I recommend that you upgrade. You can upgrade here:
https://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/p ... estep1.php

If you upgrade now to pro v6.5 and send me a private message that you saw this offer, then I'll flag your license for a guaranteed free 7.0 upgrade when it's released.

Happy New Year! :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
adbw
Rank I - Novice

authentication

Post by adbw »

do we have to do anything special to use the new NTLM authentication with v7.0 I tried doing a batch validation of a NT authenticated site and it still could not get there.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: authentication

Post by Albert Wiersch »

adbw wrote:do we have to do anything special to use the new NTLM authentication with v7.0 I tried doing a batch validation of a NT authenticated site and it still could not get there.
No, you shouldn't have to do anything special. Does anyone have an NTLM authenticated site that I could use for testing? It would be great if someone could supply me with a site and username/password (to support@htmlvalidator.com).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
TomasF
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by TomasF »

I'm afraid I can't this to work across our lan using ntlm either :(

I would like to let you test against my public facing home server, but exposing SMB and netbios access from the internet is just security suicide. I don't know much about NTLM, though I understand it uses dynamic ports, but I'm assuming the negotiation must go over standard SMB/netbios comms.
\\TomasF
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I'll look into this issue. I really do not know much about NTLM either, only that the component that is now being used is suppose to support it. I will post back if I find something out. I will release a new BETA to try again if I think I've found a solution. I consider this a relatively important new feature and definitely want to get this working.
TomasF
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by TomasF »

OK, feel free to contact me if you want to do some detailed testing or just get something checked out in between betas.

Also, I love that you already implemented my commandline url parameter request, woohoo! I tested it briefly at work and it seemed to work well, I'm going to try to incorporate it in my custom menu here at home later... but I only had like 2 hours of sleep last night, so I'm going to crash for a few hours first... ;)
\\TomasF
adbw
Rank I - Novice

Post by adbw »

I will be glad to test any updates to the beta also, since this is an important feature for us also.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Can anyone supply me with a test URL, name, and password that requires NTLM authentication? This will hopefully help me determine what the problem is. Please post it here or email it to me at support@htmlvalidator.com. Thank you!
adbw
Rank I - Novice

Post by adbw »

I think the only site that we might be able to give a site with NTLM is on a SSL server but I don't think the batch wizard uses SSL. so you already tried setting up a workstation you have with NTLM and the component worked for you?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

adbw wrote:I think the only site that we might be able to give a site with NTLM is on a SSL server but I don't think the batch wizard uses SSL. so you already tried setting up a workstation you have with NTLM and the component worked for you?
Thanks for the offer, but you're correct that SSL won't work with the Batch Wizard. I use Apache on Linux and have not yet tried setting up my own server to test NTLM authentication. Have you tried NTLM authentication in BETA 2? Is it not working for you?
adbw
Rank I - Novice

Post by adbw »

tried with beta 2 and still does not seem to work
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Has anyone reading this been successul with getting NTLM authentication to work with any BETA of v7.0?

I will be looking more closely at this before BETA 3.
TomasF
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by TomasF »

I just tried it here, and I'm still getting the "you are not authorized" message, I'm afraid.

Edit: with beta2 that is
\\TomasF
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I believe I've fixed the NTLM issues in BETA 2A (not yet available). The problems were caused by bugs in the third party component related to using the compiler I was using. I've reported them to the developer.

I want to get a few more things done then I will release a new BETA and NTLM should work. When BETA 2A is released, please let me know how it works with NTLM authentication.
adbw
Rank I - Novice

Ohh registration

Post by adbw »

I was looking forward to trying the next beta, but I guess my year of free upgrades is up and I can't try the next beta until I upgrade. I am guessing you will have an eval at some point so I can verify the NTLM authentication works for us before we purchase an upgrade since that is the main feature I was highly anticipating. although if you were able to let me try the beta I would certainly let you know if the feature works in my environment.