Structure display and Umlauts

For topics about current BETA or future releases, including feature requests.
Markus Kreisel
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Structure display and Umlauts

Post by Markus Kreisel »

Hi Albert,

First I have to say that I like the new look of the beta. Good work. I used the older version and I like what I see in the new one.

Personally I was hoping that the structure view would be improved, e.g. with graphical display instead of using "|". I used that in the past and think that a graphical display could be even more useful to find problems in the structure. A minor problem with the structure view is, that it looses the focus right after you clicked it. This means you can not use the mouse scroll button to browse the structure.

I also gave the German spell checker a first test. I found that it does not like umlauts if the are written like "Ü". I searched the forum and found in http://www.htmlvalidator.com/CSEForum/v ... auts#p2501 that it is a know problem. Perhaps this beta is the time to give it some fix :-)

Markus
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Structure display and Umlauts

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Markus Kreisel wrote:Personally I was hoping that the structure view would be improved, e.g. with graphical display instead of using "|". I used that in the past and think that a graphical display could be even more useful to find problems in the structure. A minor problem with the structure view is, that it looses the focus right after you clicked it. This means you can not use the mouse scroll button to browse the structure.
Thanks. I've thought about changing the structure view to a tree view or doing something to improve the structure view but haven't yet done anything. As for the focus, would an option to disable the "single-click takes you to the document" behavior so that it doesn't lose focus?
Markus Kreisel wrote:I also gave the German spell checker a first test. I found that it does not like umlauts if the are written like "Ü". I searched the forum and found in http://www.htmlvalidator.com/CSEForum/v ... auts#p2501 that it is a know problem. Perhaps this beta is the time to give it some fix :-)
I may have a German last name, but my German is terrible. :D

Would it be possible for you to send me a simple German document that reproduces the German spelling issues? I will then install the German dictionary and try to reproduce and fix any spelling issues.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Markus Kreisel
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Markus Kreisel »

Hi Albert,
Thanks. I've thought about changing the structure view to a tree view or doing something to improve the structure view but haven't yet done anything. As for the focus, would an option to disable the "single-click takes you to the document" behavior so that it doesn't lose focus?
That would be a good idea. As it is now it simply is odd. I understand that it is a feature and not a bug. But if you click into it and then it does not scroll like all other windows I tested in your app.
I may have a German last name, but my German is terrible. :D
If we meet some day at some conference (as ASP members) I like to hear how you pronounce it ;-)
Would it be possible for you to send me a simple German document that reproduces the German spelling issues? I will then install the German dictionary and try to reproduce and fix any spelling issues.
This is easy. Simply use the home page of http://www.sisulizer.de. This is what I did. Look e.g. in line 74: Übersetzen

Hope this helps

Markus
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Markus Kreisel wrote:That would be a good idea. As it is now it simply is odd. I understand that it is a feature and not a bug. But if you click into it and then it does not scroll like all other windows I tested in your app.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider adding some option to it to change the behavior so you can scroll through it.
Markus Kreisel wrote:If we meet some day at some conference (as ASP members) I like to hear how you pronounce it ;-)
Sure, are going going to be at SIC in Dallas this year? :D
Markus Kreisel wrote:This is easy. Simply use the home page of http://www.sisulizer.de. This is what I did. Look e.g. in line 74: Übersetzen
Thanks. I installed the "New German" dictionary and activated it and it recognized Übersetzen. A couple notes:

1. Did you download and copy the correct dictionary to the correct folder (for me it was C:\Program Files (x86)\HTMLValidator100\Dictionary) and activate the dictionary in the Options->Spelling Options->Language tab?

2. Are you using the editor's spell check function or validating the document and looking at the misspelled word list message? The editor's spell check function does not function well with character references. I'll ask about that... but the validator message that looks like this should work:
Possibly misspelled word (1, 1 unique): Softwarelokalisierung (1x). Complete list. 7 total words checked (0 in comments).
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Markus Kreisel
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Markus Kreisel »

Hi Albert,

I mean the live spell check in the main window -see the screenshot.
0003.jpg
It only underlines bersetzen and leaves out the &Uuml. If I click right it suggests übersetzen. If I use that suggestion I get &Uumlübersetzen (=> Üübersetzen). So it simply ignores the &Uuml in the live spell checker.

Markus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Markus Kreisel wrote:I mean the live spell check in the main window -see the screenshot.
Thanks for the screenshot. I understand now... yes, I think that is a limitation of the components I am using. I've asked the developers of the spell checker if there is a way to address this issue and interpret those character references as actual characters.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Markus Kreisel wrote:A minor problem with the structure view is, that it looses the focus right after you clicked it. This means you can not use the mouse scroll button to browse the structure.
In the next BETA, you can hold down Ctrl while clicking in the structure view and it will not change the focus to the editor. Do you think that this is sufficient? Another option might be to add a new option that determines whether the focus is automatically transferred to the editor or not when clicking in the structure view window... then the Ctrl button could be used to temporarily override that option and do the opposite.
Markus Kreisel
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Markus Kreisel »

Hi Albert,

I think I would like the second option. I use HTMLValidator only from time to time to fix all issues on a web site and then leave it alone for a while. Next time I use it I will wonder again about the strange behavior and then I have forgotten about the CTRL trick. Would be nice if I could reverse this once and forget.

Since I like the tree view to find structure problems in tables and nested DIVs I still hope you can brush up the display of the tree a bit to some clearer display (graphical display?) instead of character art. The other GUI looks so much more modern than this part.

Just my 2 cents. Anyway I like the new version and will using it a lot the next days since I'm overhauling our web main web site.

Markus
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Markus,

I've added an option in the Miscellaneous page of the Editor Options to change the behavior of clicking in the structure window. Holding down Ctrl will reverse the setting. You can now set it to not automatically move the focus to the editor, so you can scroll the structure window easier.

Eventually I plan to improve the view, maybe make it a tree view with a tree control.
Markus Kreisel
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Markus Kreisel »

Albert Wiersch wrote:Hi Markus,

I've added an option in the Miscellaneous page of the Editor Options to change the behavior of clicking in the structure window. Holding down Ctrl will reverse the setting. You can now set it to not automatically move the focus to the editor, so you can scroll the structure window easier.

Eventually I plan to improve the view, maybe make it a tree view with a tree control.
Thanks for the good news :-)

Markus