Page 1 of 1

email/Web for iPhone/smartphone

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:40 pm
by Lou
Continuing to work with a non-profit we have started an email News Letter backed by web pages. It has been brought to our attention that some of the non-profit's members use only a smart-phone/iPhone for their email/web browsing. Obviously email intended for web mail or "large screen" email apps don't display well on the small screen mobile phones.

I have not been able to identify standards or guidance for development for these devices. I have seen several emulators and some kits. What are others using? I would like to avoid starting for scratch and start with others experience.

Re: email/Web for iPhone/smartphone

Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:55 pm
by Albert Wiersch
Hi Lou,

I would be interested in this too for CSE HTML Validator.

I did buy an iPod touch awhile back to investigate this but I wasn't able to find the time. If there is something that CSE HTML Validator could help with in making pages more accessible/useful on mobile devices or small screens, then I would be interested in adding that to CSE HTML Validator.

Though I suspect the best approach might be to make relatively simple & clean pages that can "flow" and work well at different text sizes, and that isn't set or designed to be displayed at a fixed width (as many pages seem to be designed for these days). But again, I haven't researched this and am glad you are asking here.

Re: email/Web for iPhone/smartphone

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:14 am
by migman
The newer templates by <a href="http://www.joomlart.com">http://www.joomlart.com</a> seem to adapt well. I have tested a few of my sites on the iPhone and the iPad and was pleased at the results.

Re: email/Web for iPhone/smartphone

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:48 pm
by jeff1909
Albert Wiersch wrote:Hi Lou,

I would be interested in this too for CSE HTML Validator.

I did buy an iPod touch awhile back to investigate this but I wasn't able to find the time. If there is something that CSE HTML Validator could help with in making pages more accessible/useful on mobile devices or small screens, then I would be interested in adding that to CSE HTML Validator.

Though I suspect the best approach might be to make relatively simple & clean pages that can "flow" and work well at different text sizes, and that isn't set or designed to be displayed at a fixed width (as many pages seem to be designed for these days). But again, I haven't researched this and am glad you are asking here.
Did you end up getting the pages to be more accessible with CSE HTML Validator?

Just curious.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Re: email/Web for iPhone/smartphone

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am
by Albert Wiersch
jeff1909 wrote:Did you end up getting the pages to be more accessible with CSE HTML Validator?
Hi Jeff,

Are you asking Lou?

As for us, we use CSE HTML Validator on our own site (of course!) and it has helped with accessibility issues, as well as helping improve the other areas that it checks for. If you'd like to try it yourself and see how it can help with your pages, then the free trial is always available for you to use.

Re: email/Web for iPhone/smartphone

Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:42 pm
by Lou
jeff1909 wrote: Did you end up getting the pages to be more accessible with CSE HTML Validator?

-Jeff
Have not started developing any code yet for the smaller screens (iPad/iphone, etc), still looking for some "standard practices" to use as a starting point.

I got some books but haven't had time to dig in yet. The same old story, too busy fighting alligators to drain the swamp. Or in this case start a now project. I skipped over the joomlart.com suggestion as that would be another learning curve for that tool and I do prefer hand coding.

This improvement to the newsletter is still on the list, just not moving up very fast.

Re: email/Web for iPhone/smartphone

Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:24 am
by Apentier
Lou wrote: Have not started developing any code yet for the smaller screens (iPad/iphone, etc), still looking for some "standard practices" to use as a starting point
Does such a code differ significantly from a regular one?