Firefox 7

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Re: Firefox 7

Post by Lou »

atomicforex wrote:I'm surprised anyone still uses Firefox when there is Google Chrome for instance.
Don't know why you are surprised. FF is standard compliant, after that it should be a matter of personal preference.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Firefox 7

Post by MikeGale »

That's a remarkable statement from atomicforex.
atomicforex wrote:I'm surprised anyone still uses Firefox when there is Google Chrome for instance.
A couple of points that I consider with browser choice
  • I often write pages for a general audience. That mostly means IE, FF, Chrome and Safari. It's not my job to tell other people what to do, and it wouldn't work if I tried, either. So I test on those, and Opera, often on more than one OS. I don't understand developers who don't do something like that. (Though I'm encountering increasing amounts of their product. Some unfortunately makes up sites that I need to use.) I also go further than that, where appropriate, by running on remote services that give me visual appearance against a wider range of browsers. That's also useful.
  • I do use Chrome but not a lot. Why not? From time to time I examine the communications that flow on the wire between browser and the cloud. Last time I checked Chrome was the most chatty. It phones home a great deal. Some of it I don't see any obvious way to stop. Though I could stop those calls, I instead choose not to use it as often. (To check such things I use Fiddler but there are other tools like Wireshark, Charles... If you've never done that, recommended.)
  • I've also come to the conclusion that playing to all browsers is holding back human progress. Provided advance warning is given I see a place for sites that rely on Silverlight, Air, Flash etc. The site should simply be very up front about it. Should say, if you don't do this don't come here. (And maybe, if xx goes away so do we and this site.)