RSS feeds

Post here if your message doesn't fit into another forum but is still about web development. Includes site critiques, web hosting and server questions, helpful software and resources, and more.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

RSS feeds

Post by Albert Wiersch » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:12 am

I haven't been keeping up with our news RSS feed very well. I am thinking about dropping it.

Does anyone here use RSS feeds anymore? Either as a reader of them or a creator of them?

Thanks.
Albert Wiersch

Lou
Rank V - Professional
Rank V - Professional

Re: RSS feeds

Post by Lou » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 am

I do use the forum RSS feed instead of needing to stop by to check activity. If you have another one for the HTML Validator, I guess that answers the question.

By posting updates, etc. here, the forum RSS lets me know about availability, and it's automatic.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks Lou. That one is automated and more useful so I'm not referring to that one, but I'm glad to know that you use it.

The one I am considering dropping is the feed here:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/csenews.xml

Do you use that one?

Perhaps if I can find better software to update the feed then I can keep it, so I'd also appreciate any recommendations on RSS feed creation and maintenance software. What I was using was written poorly and doesn't work well at all with Windows 8 and 8.1.
Albert Wiersch

Lou
Rank V - Professional
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:37 pm

As I said you seem to be good about posting necessary development news here, and the phpBB forum does the RSS update automatically.

I'm with you, the one RSS feed I maintained, I gave up for the same reason as you; no good tools (in my price range) although I have not looked for a couple of years. Also no indication that anyone was using it - or so few that the forum was a better option anyway.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks Lou. I think I will drop the RSS news feed and redirect any requests for it to the forum RSS feed.
Albert Wiersch