Insight into designing browsers to accomodate bad markup

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Insight into designing browsers to accomodate bad markup

Post by MikeGale »

Here's an interesting article. Gives some insight into compromises to allow the most common errors. Too common to ignore. (They seem to be well and truly down this rabbit hole.)

http://j.mp/1BoolFv
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Insight into designing browsers to accomodate bad markup

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks Mike... that was interesting reading. I can also use some examples it gave to improve some of CSE HTML Validator's error messages when the common mistakes are made.

I have not tried Windows 10 yet, but I look forward to trying it and Microsoft's new 'EdgeHTML' engine.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Thanks Mike. good read.
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I wish I had access to all those common mistakes that their Bing web crawler can find... then I could specifically address some of them in CSE HTML Validator, like I just did when "utf8" is used instead of "utf-8". I like how they are using all the data to make their browser better. They must have quite a bit for sure!

In any case, and on a related note, if anyone runs into a "common mistake" that CSE HTML Validator could generate a better message for, then please let me know.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

I didn't find an email link to Frank Olivier in the article (quick check). Might be worth contacting him to check whether the "common faults" are published / available somewhere.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

MikeGale wrote:I didn't find an email link to Frank Olivier in the article (quick check). Might be worth contacting him to check whether the "common faults" are published / available somewhere.
Good idea. I just sent him a tweet asking about that.