Finding it harder to read websites?

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Finding it harder to read websites?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I posted this on CSE HTML Validator's Facebook page first but wanted to post it here in the forum as well.

Are your eyes getting worse or is the font color getting lighter? A good read.

https://backchannel.com/how-the-web-bec ... 81ddc711b6

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/htmlvalidator
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Finding it harder to read websites?

Post by MikeGale »

Thanks.

There's more similar wrongness.

On that backchannel page for example the "disappearing right scroll bar" is defective. (It leads to inadvertent page changing (I got two of them) and "unwanted big scroll jumps".) Not to mention those "one page web sites" that are losing users. (By fitting it all into one page, there is sometimes no room for the information you need, so you go elsewhere.)

Yep, unfortunately, as the web has become "main stream" it has also imported the IQ of parts of the "main stream".

Part of it is that many web properties aren't primarily about content. They're about advertising and surveilling people. (90% plus.)
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Interesting. thanks
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
RSteinwand
Rank VI - Professional

Post by RSteinwand »

Thanks for the link. Too bad that site also has adopted gray text.
Rick
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

RSteinwand wrote:Thanks for the link. Too bad that site also has adopted gray text.
That's true, but in their defense it seems to be a darker gray and the text is larger and readable. I think the problem mostly occurs when the text is lighter gray (or less "contrasty") and smaller. I don't think they are saying that text should be absolute black all the time.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial