CSS Editing viewable in Preview

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
jperhay
Rank 0 - Newcomer

CSS Editing viewable in Preview

Post by jperhay »

I have a simple HTML file that has an external CSS file. With both files loaded in Validator - is there a way of viewing the changes in the Preview window resulting from changes in the CSS file - maybe as they occur. When I attempt that, I get an error message indicating that I do not have a "previewable file extension". It then indicates one can be set up in the Editor Options. I'm not seeing anything related to a previewable file extension option in that menu.

Thanks!
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: CSS Editing viewable in Preview

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

The preview in CSE HTML Validator is very simple and there is not a way to do what you want, but you can use Alt+F8 to open an HTML document in your default browser. When you want to update the view then save your document(s) in CSE HTML Validator (use the Ctrl+S shortcut to quickly save the current document) and refresh the browser view (I use Ctrl+R in Chrome).

But I do so a potential enhancement to the internal previewer that might be helpful - refreshing the integrated web browser when an active CSS document is being edited will not try to change the previewed document. I'll look into this.

UPDATE: I changed the behavior of the integrated web browser for the next update (v17.02). If you refresh the integrated web browser and the active document is not previewable (like a CSS file), then it will just refresh whatever it is showing. This lets you edit a CSS page, save it, then refresh the browser with an HTML page that uses the CSS page currently being edited. Note that you do have to save the CSS page to save the changes so the browser reloads them when you refresh it.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial