Links that seem to float on the left side

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Cheyenne
Rank III - Intermediate

Links that seem to float on the left side

Post by Cheyenne »

I have seen links that seem to "float". In other words, the links move down as I scroll the web page. Can you give me a website or a code so I can do it, please? I have use for it in my web page.

I don't want to use it in the CSS, just on one of my pages.

Thank you.
CaryD
Rank II - Novice

Post by CaryD »

You can try using the "position:fixed" styling, but you'll need to use a hack if you want it to work with IE 6. See this page if that's the case:

Making Internet Explorer use position: fixed;

You don't need to put the style in your main sheet. You could just use an embedded style instead, but if you give your menu a unique ID name you can still use the external style sheet without messing up any other pages.
John Zeman
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by John Zeman »

I've used http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for such things with pretty good success.

On a related subject but not for floating menus, I really like Xara's Menu Maker for building Dynamic menus. It's not free but it's very reasonably priced and easy to use.

http://www.xara.com/products/menumaker/
Cheyenne
Rank III - Intermediate

Post by Cheyenne »

Looked at your suggestion today, Cary.

John, will look at your download suggestion tonight.

I know IE7 and Vista are the up and coming. If they didn't have sooo many bugs in them, I'd install them in an instant. But, I am a "one computer show" here, and I don't want to mess the puter up any more than I already do. :lol: