Where / how to sell a domain name?

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Where / how to sell a domain name?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I bought a domain name in possible anticipation of using it, but I'm not sure I'm going to use it.

I may want to try selling it and see what happens. Any suggestions for selling a domain name?

I've come across some suggestions, but nothing that says there is "THE PLACE" to sell domain names.

I briefly looked at or considered GoDaddy auctions, eBay, sedo.com, etc.

I don't expect to get much $$$, it is more of an experiment to see what happens.

Has anyone sold a domain name or have a good suggestion for where to sell? Thanks!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Martin
Rank II - Novice

Re: Where / how to sell a domain name?

Post by Martin »

Nothing personal but I hate it when folks sell domainnames. Just let it expire and die and give someone else a chance to own it without buying it for a higher price than is 'normal'.

I and my customers so often come across domainnames that are bought by companies just to sell them of at a higher price. I always reccomend not to go in business with these people.

These folks take up so many domainnames that a lot of names are no longer available at 'normal' rates.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks Martin,

I understand your frustration about people who just buy domain names to resell.

I actually did what you suggested and ended up letting the domain name expire.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Martin
Rank II - Novice

Post by Martin »

Good man good man :D . Have you personally never come accross this situation of domainname hoarders who try to sell at higher price?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Martin wrote:Good man good man :D . Have you personally never come accross this situation of domainname hoarders who try to sell at higher price?
I've seen it before but I don't recall ever bidding on a domain name from a "hoarder". I would try to avoid buying a domain name like that unless I REALLY needed or wanted the domain name.

I recently encountered what I would consider an unscrupulous person/company trying to sell a domain name they didn't even have yet:
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/CSEForum/v ... f=3&t=1210
Martin
Rank II - Novice

Post by Martin »

I have seen that post. Well at the least you could say they've got balls to pull a stunt like that and the great thing about approacing you is that you got a nice usefull domain for a normal price :D .

But I really hate scammers and hoarders!
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Martin wrote:I have seen that post. Well at the least you could say they've got balls to pull a stunt like that and the great thing about approacing you is that you got a nice usefull domain for a normal price :D .
True... I probably wouldn't have even known about that domain name expiring if they didn't bring it to my attention! :D