Ongoing HTML5 debate

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Ongoing HTML5 debate

Post by MikeGale »

Apple recently posted what has turned out to be a misleading HTML5 demonstration. (I and a lot of other visitors thought it tests all browsers for HTML5, but it won't even run on most browsers (browser sniffing I believe), is not really about HTML5 and the VR bit doesn't even work on all plain Safari installs (though I hear it just works on Chrome if you fiddle the UA string to run!).)

This is important to web developers who can see some of the debate at http://j.mp/9U35pn and http://j.mp/cqwIfi

To get some perspective about the behind the scenes wrangles look at what the W3C says on it's site:
>>Implementors should be aware that this specification is not stable. Implementors who are not taking part in the discussions are likely to find the specification changing out from under them in incompatible ways. Vendors interested in implementing this specification before it eventually reaches the Candidate Recommendation stage should join the aforementioned mailing lists and take part in the discussions.
and
>>The publication of this document by the W3C as a W3C Working Draft does not imply that all of the participants in the W3C HTML working group endorse the contents of the specification. Indeed, for any section of the specification, one can usually find many members of the working group or of the W3C as a whole who object strongly to the current text, the existence of the section at all, or the idea that the working group should even spend time discussing the concept of that section.
So there's a lot of argument.

In my view the aims of HTML5 are modest and even that isn't working as it ought. I hope we don't have another decade of this nonsense!