Nesting

For general web development questions that are not specifically related to CSS HTML Validator. This includes (but is not limited to) general HTML, CSS, Accessibility, JavaScript, and SEO questions.
glesga
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Nesting

Post by glesga »

I am new to html and validating html, so bear with me.
I look at my pages and they seem ok but when I validate them
It will tell me nesting is not allowed, I also have tables inside tables.
I try to change what cse errors show but the page goes wacky and I undo what I change and it looks fine. I am trying to validate http://www.sportstopsupply.com
I use Frontpage 2003.
Page looks ok in explorer. opera, firefox and netscape have minor differences.
I thought this would be easy but I have a lot to learn.
glesga
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Using FrontPage can be problematic. It's probably gotten a little better in newer versions, but it is well known to generate inefficient and incorrect HTML, so fixing your pages and then loading them back into FrontPage can cause FrontPage to reintroduce problems.

If you are having problems when you "fix" your HTML then you're probably not fixing it correctly. If it is fixed correctly, then it should display correctly. To use CSE HTML Validator effectively, one must know some basic HTML, including nesting. Nesting simply means that if you use the "i" start tag then the "b" start tag, you must use the "b" end tag before you use the "i" end tag. In other words, the most recently opened tag should be the first one closed.

Incorrect nesting:
<i><b>Text</i></b>

Correct nesting:
<i><b>Test</b></i>

Hope this helps. Don't give up!
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
epicure
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: Nesting

Post by epicure »

glesga wrote: Page looks ok in explorer. opera, firefox and netscape have minor differences.
Generally, if it looks fine in MSIE and not right in the better browsers, then it's MSIE that's getting it wrong...
"Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs."
Dwight_Stegall
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by Dwight_Stegall »

Why use CSE to validate your pages and not code your pages in it. I suggest you get rid of frontpage and just use CSE. I sure wish it had an internal FTP app.
CaryD
Rank II - Novice

Post by CaryD »

Given the age of the post, the OP is probably using something else these days. Hard to say, though, because that page linked to hasn't had it copyright updated since 2004.
worrall
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: Nesting

Post by worrall »

This is what sometimes happens when don't remember to close the tags correctly or did some syntactical error so my suggestion is whenever you open an braces or tag immediately close the ending braces or tag and then code.This is only way to escape from getting error messages or getting into problems so be alert about the closing tags.