We have a Thesaurus. Really?

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
GeeJay
Rank 0 - Newcomer

We have a Thesaurus. Really?

Post by GeeJay »

Greetings to anyone reading this post,

I spend a good chunk of my life writing, and I need both a Dictionary and a Thesaurus. So far, I use the SpelCheck within CSE; but i have to leave CSE, go to my browser, get to an on-line Theasurus like http://www.thesaurus.com, type a term, wait for "broadband" to get me results after waiting half a minute, and finally come back to CSE to use the new term that I found

I just discovered that I could download a Thesaurus, and to make it part of CSE. My assumption leads to construe that I could get what I need but without leaving CSE. Is this assumption corect? How do I open the Thesaurus in CSE? Is this Thesaurus reasonably complete as the one on-line? Will the SpelCheck within CSE still work?

I would be utterly thankful to anyone who knows and is willing to help my writing work become more productive by not investing so much time in the many steps I am presently following. I wish you all well.

Geejay
GeeJay
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: We have a Thesaurus. Really?

Post by GeeJay »

Well... no need to bother, good guys. I couldn't wait any longer, and I decided to download the Thesaurus and to follow the same instructions to install an additional Dictionary like "English-British", for instance.

Despite my efforts to follow the instructions to the letter on how to install a Dictionary, I couldn't make it work. There are must be a reason why CSE does not read the different type of file this Thesaurus has. Out of my disappointment, I un-installed the Thesaurus ~hoping that I did not mess up CSE in the process of doing so~ and I came back to the lenghy but very reliable process of using the trustworthy http://www.thesaurus.com

Well... C'est la Vie... as the French say. To all of you guys who wanted to help me out within a reasonable period of time, this man is utterly thankful to all the bunch, and wishes you all success in health.

GeeJay is out of this place.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay. It seems a thesaurus is something that is supported with the spell checking component that CSE HTML Validator uses, although I haven't looked into it but perhaps I should if it is easy to implement.

Would anyone else be interested in a thesaurus function in CSE HTML Validator, perhaps as an additional "Tool"? I am afraid that adding too many "non-validator" features may make the program harder to maintain and more bloated... but then again, if it is easy to add because CSE HTML Validator already uses the related spell checking component, then perhaps it would be a good idea?

On another note, you may also be interested in WordWeb. It's what I use now and I like it. I use the Pro version but there is a free version too. Here is more information:
http://wordweb.info/
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Lou
Rank V - Professional

Post by Lou »

Albert I agree that CSE bloat could be a issue if you hang to many extras on the validator.

I am not a writer, per say. I joke that I took English as a second language (just ask any of my teachers!) As such I build the bulk of my content in editors that check spelling, grammar, reading level and anything else I can find. But that is just me.

I would think it would be better to pick a task (HTML Validation) and do it very well as apposed to trying to be all things to all people.

(If you have $0.03 change for my nickle, you have my ....)
Lou
Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Lou wrote:I would think it would be better to pick a task (HTML Validation) and do it very well as apposed to trying to be all things to all people.
Hi Lou, yes, I think you are right. A spell-checker makes sense for CSE HTML Validator but I don't think a thesaurus does, even if it would be easy to add. I would still need to distribute the thesaurus dictionary and that would create more "bloat". For those who want a good thesaurus, a dedicated program like the one I suggested earlier would probably be best.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial