CSE Forum issue - title & SEO

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
rag_gupta
Rank II - Novice

CSE Forum issue - title & SEO

Post by rag_gupta »

I see that you've even covered SEO topics in CSE but this forum itself does not follow SEO principles.

The title of all your pages start with: CSE HTML Validator View Topic [main title]

Yesterday I had problem in searching questions but I was wondering why Google could not give good results.

I see one plausible reason. The most important keywords should come in the beginning. You should move CSE HTML ... fixed content to the end of the title.

For example please see the title of this one Google forum:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/A ... 0247&hl=en
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: CSE Forum issue

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Thanks. I think this is a good suggestion to mention to the forum software developers so I may do that.

I was able to make a template change that should help by moving the site name to the end, but it didn't completely address this issue. I may investigate this later to see if it can be further improved.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: CSE Forum issue - title & SEO

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I ended up posting this message:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p13025266

And someone pointed me here:
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/remove- ... om-titles/

So the titles should be better now, for human usability and hopefully for SEO too (though I think the SEO benefit is questionable, the human usability question is not). Thanks for the suggestion. I hope they change this in the forum software as I really think it is the better format "all the way around".
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Good move. Thanks.

This illustrates one problem with CMS systems. Doing simple things can be unreasonably hard.

With a simple literal page, you just do it. With these CMS's you need to understand the programming model and where things are done.

Come to think of it that's not only a CMS issue. Programming generally has issues like that. Every time I see somebody proudly showing off a complex object structure (in OO design) I see possible maintenance nightmares. (Sometimes even for the original design team!)
cathysays

Post by cathysays »

MikeGale wrote:Good move. Thanks.

This illustrates one problem with CMS systems. Doing simple things can be unreasonably hard.

With a simple literal page, you just do it. With these CMS's you need to understand the programming model and where things are done.

Come to think of it that's not only a CMS issue. Programming generally has issues like that. Every time I see somebody proudly showing off a complex object structure (in OO design) I see possible maintenance nightmares. (Sometimes even for the original design team!)
Good move indeed. Now your posts can rank higher as well. "Come to think of it that's not only a CMS issue. Programming generally has issues like that. Every time I see somebody proudly showing off a complex object structure (in OO design) I see possible maintenance nightmares." this is so hilarious. That is true.