Making CSE Lite show for IE Edit button

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.

Do you sometimes use CSE from inside IE when browsing web sites?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 5

MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Making CSE Lite show for IE Edit button

Post by MikeGale »

Short Description:

I have both CSE and CSE Lite installed (both latest). The both have registry entries (Hive...Classes...) for .htm which appear correct (...shell/edit/command...). ONLY CSE Professional shows in the Edit list from the IE toolbar.

How do I also make Lite appear there?

Background Description:

I'm thinking about recommending to people that they use CSE Lite to check the validity of their own pages. (Avoid embarrassment!)

Before I do that I want to get a good look at exactly what they see.

I can't see the editor in the IE toolbar drop down, while the other way is too much effort.

Note: The OS is Win2K3 with latest patches and latest IE version. (IE has a few add-ons including the MS Developer Toolbar (Beta), Fiddler and MSN Search toolbar.) I am not checking on any other machines!
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Compare to Firefox

Post by MikeGale »

With Firefox the issue is the opposite (in a way). The extension gives only Lite, see other thread.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Hi Mike,

I've been trying to figure out why IE doesn't show the option to edit with the lite edition but does for the pro. I think I've located a bug that could have an affect on this. I will look into this more.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Post by MikeGale »

Thanks for that Albert.
c24m48
Rank II - Novice

CSE from within IE

Post by c24m48 »

I'm piggybacking on the comment that "the other way is too much effort". I assume by the "other way" it is meant invoking a free standing copy of CSE not invoked from within IE, and then doing a File...Open from within CSE.

I always do it the "hard way", invoking a free standing copy of CSE. I do it with a Windows Quick Launch icon in the Windows Quick Launch area, but after File...Open I still have to navigate through several layers of my directory structure to get to the file I want to edit. I never invoke CSE from IE.

I would much prefer to launch CSE from IE. But when I do, the file names aren't right. I don't know exactly how to describe what's wrong. The problem is somehow related to Windows support for file names longer than 8.3 and in mixed case. When Windows first added support for longer file names than 8.3 and in mixed case, not all programs seemed to work smoothly with the new convention.

CSE seems to work perfectly with the long filename convention when launched in a free standing mode. But when I launch it from within IE, it seems to operate in the old clutzy 8.3 mode. So my bypass has been to avoid launching CSE from within IE.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Don't forget that files can also easily be opened by dragging them and dropping them on CSE HTML Validator from WIndows Explorer. You can use this to not have to navigate folder structures.

Also, this may help: You can specify the default folder when opening files in CSE HTML Validator (you may be able to use this so that you can navigate folder structures less):
http://www.htmlvalidator.com/htmlval/ht ... #q20020121
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
c24m48
Rank II - Novice

Post by c24m48 »

The first suggestion seems not to be very useful. It just moves the navigation of folder structures from CSE HTML Validator to Windows Explorer. If anything, I think there's a little less pointing and clicking and such when doing it from within CSE HTML Validator than there is within Windows Explorer.

The second suggestion is very useful. In all truth, I virtually never use the Resource Window. The screen is cluttered enough as it is, and having the Resource Window open makes it even more cluttered. But I discovered with a little experimentation that you can open the Resource Window, set a default folder, close the Resource Window, and shutdown CSE HTML Validator. It then does seem to remember the default folder whenever it's started. Very nice.

I'm still a little curious why CSE HTML Validator has the 8.3 problem when started from within IE, but CSE HTML Validator doesn't have the 8.3 problem when started by itself, outside of IE. I have used other Web editors that you can start from within IE, and they don't have the problem. It's all very strange.

In any case, thanks for the tip on the default folder.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

c24m48 wrote:I'm still a little curious why CSE HTML Validator has the 8.3 problem when started from within IE, but CSE HTML Validator doesn't have the 8.3 problem when started by itself, outside of IE. I have used other Web editors that you can start from within IE, and they don't have the problem. It's all very strange.
I'm not sure why it works like this. I will be planning to start development of the next major version of CSE HTML Validator early next year and may look into this. Borland has come back with support for C++Builder and I'm hoping to "more modernize" many aspects of the program. At this point, 8.3 format should be pretty much obsolete in my opinion!
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

CSE not working from Edit

Post by MikeGale »

I had an interesting experience today.

The edit button/drop down was disabled on some web pages. (So I couldn't run CSE directly from the browser.) The symptom was a greyed out edit button.

At first I thought it was related to local server / remote server and permissions but experimentation disproved that, and gave some bizarre results.

Later in the day view source also failed.

With that clue I found the solution. I dumped the page cache and all worked again.

I've never had that before and with 10GB available on the disc it's very annoying!

(This is W2K3 with IE 6.0.3790.)

That could be valuable to those using CSE from IE on a regular basis.
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

That doesn't surprise me at all. I've run across an annoying problem before that I also found out can be fixed by cleaning out IE's cache. I believe it was a problem trying to use the back button in IE. I haven't run into it lately as I now use Firefox. I like Firefox but have been having some occasional lockup and memory usage issues (like memory leak problems over time) with 1.5.0.1. I'm not sure if it is Firefox itself, or maybe an extension that I'm using. Other than that, I think Firefox is great.