Picking your version of CSE when using Firefox

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.

Do you sometimes use CSE from inside Firefox when browsing web sites?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 5

MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Picking your version of CSE when using Firefox

Post by MikeGale » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:29 pm

I've installed the tool that integrates CSE into Firefox.

It installed with Lite when I have both Lite and Professional installed.

(That suits me at present as I want to know what the general public might see.)

How do I most easily (no installation gymnastics) switch the linkage to another version of CSE?

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:24 pm

Hi Mike,

While I didn't write the Firefox extension myself, I do believe it uses the csevalidator.dll file in the Windows system directory. In that case, it would use the most recent edition and version of CSE HTML Validator that you installed because that will determine which edition and version the DLL in the Windows system directory is.

So, I suppose you could write a script or batch file to switch out the DLLs to determine which one is used by the Firefox extension, but I haven't tried it.

Most people will simply want to use the best edition and version they have and won't want to switch between different editions and versions. Why would you want to use anything less than the best edition and version you have?
Albert Wiersch

MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional
Rank VI - Professional

Why use Lite?

Post by MikeGale » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:30 pm

Hi Albert,

Thanks for that. I'll make a note of it for future.

As to why use it, my situation is clear cut. (It may not be as atypical as I first thought. What web site owner doesn't want to put himself in the shoes of a savvy user??)

I'm looking at ways that other people judge web sites. In that process I'm considering tools they might use. For checking markup quality CSE is the best thing that I know of.

Before I can comment much about that I need to see what he sees. (It's very unlikely he has CSE Pro but he could use Lite.)

(Of course for other purposes I need more, so I'd really like to be able to use both. See my IE comment, which is kinda the reverse of Firefox, I get Pro but not Lite when technically I think I should get both.)