natural primary language and Editing Tip

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
Post Reply
Walter Metzger
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

natural primary language and Editing Tip

Post by Walter Metzger » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:25 am

Good day,

First
with Validator Pro 11.0032 I get the (new?) message (Warning for line 9)

The natural primary language is not specified. It is highly recommended that the "lang" and/or "xml:lang" (for XHTML) attribute be used with the "html" tag to specify the primary language. For example, use lang="en" for English or lang="fr" for French. Specifying the language assists braille translation software, speech synthesizers, translation software, and has other benefits.

My line 9 is
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Sorry, i do not understand the warning and could not find a tip, what do I have to to?

Second
with Validator Pro 11.0032 I get the (new?) Comment

Editing Tip: This document was specified as UTF-8 encoded. Editing documents with the wrong encoding may cause document corruption. Make sure that any editor used to edit a document properly supports the document's encoding and properly loads it with the correct encoding. CSE HTML Validator's editor supports UTF-8 and other common encodings.

I have defined:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
and
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

I translate all german special characters as "ä, ß" etc.
I use only HTML Validator's editor, so I have no problems or?

Thanks for answers
and greetings
Happy Christmas
and a Good New Year 2012
Walter Metzger (no snow in our region)
Germany

User avatar
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3316
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Near Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: natural primary language and Editing Tip

Post by Albert Wiersch » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:05 am

Walter Metzger wrote:Good day,

First
with Validator Pro 11.0032 I get the (new?) message (Warning for line 9)

The natural primary language is not specified. It is highly recommended that the "lang" and/or "xml:lang" (for XHTML) attribute be used with the "html" tag to specify the primary language. For example, use lang="en" for English or lang="fr" for French. Specifying the language assists braille translation software, speech synthesizers, translation software, and has other benefits.

My line 9 is
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Sorry, i do not understand the warning and could not find a tip, what do I have to to?
Hello,

You can use something like this (assuming the primary language of your page is English):
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
Walter Metzger wrote:Second
with Validator Pro 11.0032 I get the (new?) Comment

Editing Tip: This document was specified as UTF-8 encoded. Editing documents with the wrong encoding may cause document corruption. Make sure that any editor used to edit a document properly supports the document's encoding and properly loads it with the correct encoding. CSE HTML Validator's editor supports UTF-8 and other common encodings.

I have defined:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
and
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

I translate all german special characters as "ä, ß" etc.
I use only HTML Validator's editor, so I have no problems or?
No, you shouldn't have any problems with recent versions of CSE HTML Validator's editor as it should see the XML declaration that specifies UTF-8 encoding and thus open the document with that encoding; but if you ever see that characters are not what they should be, then there is a problem and you should investigate further before saving the document as there is the possibility of corruption.
Walter Metzger wrote:Thanks for answers
and greetings
Happy Christmas
and a Good New Year 2012
Walter Metzger (no snow in our region)
Germany
You're welcome! Merry Christmas to you as well (and Happy New Year)!
Image
Albert Wiersch

Walter Metzger
Rank II - Novice
Rank II - Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: natural primary language and Editing Tip

Post by Walter Metzger » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Good evening Albert,

I replaced
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
with
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="de" lang="de">
and the message "warning" no longer appears.

Thanks for your help
Walter

Post Reply