Print option - line numbers

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
JohnBMoss
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Print option - line numbers

Post by JohnBMoss »

How do I select line numbering as a print option after viewing CSE HTML validated output?
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. Could you describe in more detail what you are doing and wanting to do? Exactly what output (from where) are you wanting to print with line numbers?

If you want to print the source from CSE HTML Validator's editor, then you just need to check the option to include line numbers in the Print settings dialog that appears when printing. I suspect you are wanting to do something else though.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
JohnBMoss
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Question clarification

Post by JohnBMoss »

Sorry, I guess I thought you were a mind reader. :oops: Seriously, I selected a portion of the HTML in the middle of the page (a table) and tried to print the table with the line numbers related to the code position in the whole page. Specifically, the Table code lies between lines 724 and 890. This was the section I highlighted and wanted to print, including the line numbers. What I actually printed were the line numbers 1..165, NOT line numbers 725..890.

I hope I've stated this correctly - I AM getting line numbers, but in trying to save paper and not print pages and pages of stuff, I just wanted the table info - with the 'real' line numbers. [phew!] :roll:
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

Ahh.. now I understand.

Sorry, but it won't print selections that way. :-(

FinePrint is a great printing utility. With it, you can print the entire document and then delete the pages you don't want to print before the job is actually sent to the printer:
http://fineprint.com/

I use it all the time. You may want to investigate it as it will help do what you want as well as probably be useful for all the other printing you do.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
JohnBMoss
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Thank you!

Post by JohnBMoss »

I guess I wasn't clear at first - but I appreciate your replies! I think I understand the fineprint concept, and I suppose that will work - I just thought there might be a way to associate the line numbers with the document before electing to print any of it. But since no, then I can work with fineprint. Thanks for turning me on to the product!

And thank you VERY much, Albert, for your time and support! :D
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Post by Albert Wiersch »

You're welcome! I'm happy to help when I can. :)