Would you like a CD with that?

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.

When you purchase software online, would you like a physical CD?

Yes, I would definitely pay extra (around $10) to receive a physical CD.
No votes
I would consider paying a little extra for a CD, and might or might not order one.
10%
I never (or almost never) would pay extra for a physical CD. Electronic download only is fine for me.
90%

Total votes: 10

Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Would you like a CD with that?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

When purchasing software online, how important to you is the option to pay extra for a physical CD in addition or in place of downloading the software electronically?
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial
epicure
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by epicure »

I think it important to have a CD as backup: disks fail, and if you have the important software items on CD you are half-way to getting back to the job in hand!

The suggested $10 sounds rather high to me, though.
TomasF
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Post by TomasF »

epicure wrote:I think it important to have a CD as backup: disks fail, and if you have the important software items on CD you are half-way to getting back to the job in hand!
Most systems have shipped with CD or DVD burners for years now, and a bulk CD/DVD burner costs almost nothing. Presumably burning ALL your downloaded purchased software on one or a couple of CDs/DVDs as backup yourself is even more time, cost, and space efficient for most people.
\\TomasF
g4mby
Rank 0 - Newcomer

Re: Would you like a CD with that?

Post by g4mby »

Albert Wiersch wrote:When purchasing software online, how important to you is the option to pay extra for a physical CD in addition or in place of downloading the software electronically?
How long would the CD be current for anyway?

With a program like HTML Validator, updates are frequent so even if a CD was bought or supplied it may not be up-to-date at the time it was needed and a download of the current version would still be neccessary. For very large programs I might consider buying a CD but not for a program of just a couple of megabytes.

All my downloaded software is backed up to floppy, ZIP or another PC as appropriate. I would be very unlucky if they all failed at the same time. :lol:
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Would you like a CD with that?

Post by Albert Wiersch »

paul-white wrote:How long would the CD be current for anyway?

With a program like HTML Validator, updates are frequent so even if a CD was bought or supplied it may not be up-to-date at the time it was needed and a download of the current version would still be neccessary. For very large programs I might consider buying a CD but not for a program of just a couple of megabytes.
Right. I do not think it would be a good idea to offer a CD, but some people have asked for it. It seems like it wouldn't be worth the time and trouble to offer it for a product like CSE HTML Validator which is usually a quick download anyway (and you get the latest version).

Some people might like it more if it included a nice looking box like it does when you buy software from a store, but again, I don't think that would be worth spending the time on. I'd rather add more features and even better syntax checking to HTML Validator. :D
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial