Web site navigation

Post here if your topic is about CSS HTML Validator but doesn't fit in another forum.
roedygr
Rank V - Professional

Web site navigation

Post by roedygr »

I was asked this morning to check out a website to see if I would be interested in giving it a makeover. I wanted to see just how bad the HTML was by sampling pages and feeding them through HTML Validator.

The problem was it is used frames heavily, so I could not simply copy/paste the URLs into HTML Validator.

It would be nice if I could navigate through the site in HTML Validator clicking a link in the source to find the next page to validate.

PS. your forum spell check does not think "Validator" is a word.
MikeGale
Rank VI - Professional

Re: Web site navigation

Post by MikeGale »

Depending on site size, one method that can be very time efficient (with the current design) is this:

1) Harvest all links (you can often get them from navigation panes).

2) Convert those to a batch file. (You can take a valid and properly configured batch file as a model.)

3) Run the batch processor.

4) Look at the autogenerated reports.

Works for me.

Another approach is to grab a copy of the site and process that. (Some harvesters mess with markup and program driven sites are harder to do!)
Albert Wiersch
Site Admin

Re: Web site navigation

Post by Albert Wiersch »

You can also look at the links in the Links tab and right-click on a link and choose the "Open Link in Browser" option. I think that will make it easier to open and check the individual files of a framed site.
Albert Wiersch, CSS HTML Validator Developer • Download CSS HTML Validator FREE Trial